We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Debating wether to spend our first two nights at San Simian on the lake or Casa Robleto in Masaya. We will be traveling with a young child and will probably be flying in fairly late at night. While staying on the lake is very appealing, I'm a little concerned with the lack of A/C and also wonder how the drive is to the lake at night vs. going to the town of Masaya? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Hi

The road to the Laguna is paved. If you in the Crater on both ends direcction of San Simian or Posada de Abuela the last 1km is on dirth road but every normal car even without 4 wheel drive can pass year round. There is almost year around a brise which makes is much cooler and if you net travelling in March April i dont think you need aircon at all. Masaya is not really a nice city there is the touristiy handycraft market and the main plaza is nice...BUt its noisy . Staying in the Laguna meas no street noise wake up call by birds and monkeys and you are in the most beauitful place in Nicaragua a crater lake filled with the cleanest water of central america and overgrown wih lush green jungle. its a magic place. From the Laguna is only 20 minutes to Masaya. If you drive with your own car by night be careful as some parts of the streets have pot holes. No one recommends drive at night is South and Central America. IIf you arrive late most hotels offer pick up at anytime with reliable drivers.

Cheers

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Depends on thenpurpose of your visit and your preferences.

Laguna de apoyo doesnt have much. Its quieter, more outdoorsy and remote, relatively speaking.

Masaya on the other hand is a small big city. There are 100,000 people there. It has some nice sights and its own charm to it. Plus you can walk the city. If you want pizza at night, or want to go to a supermarket to buy food, do some shopping, etc.

If you are here for a relaxing nature vacation, stay in apoyo. If you like more options, or plan on getting out and doing multiple things a day, i would stay in masaya.

Cincinnati, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

You really can't go wrong with either option. Both Casa Robleto and San Simian are great choices--we've stayed at both places. At Casa Robleto in Masaya, you'll get a more traditional Nicaraguan welcome from the very hospitable staff, and you have the benefit of being about 20 minutes closer to the airport than Laguna. If you're looking for peace and quiet and natural beauty, then San Simian is probably your choice. But if you're going to be 2 days either place, you could also stay in Masaya and day trip to San Simian to enjoy the lake, but come back to the city and have a few more choices on evening food and activities.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

We love both San Simian and Casa Robleto but with a small child I'm going to vote Casa Robleto. They can get you out to La Laguna for the day if you desire, but Casa Robleto has a great indoor courtyard where your little one can roam around and you can feel secure. Plus, they have three amazing ladies who are the caretakers who are helpful to EVERYONE but they especially love little ones.

You can see my pics of my kids at Casa Robleto in my first review. I was the first reviewer to post about them a few years ago. Cheers.

*Also, just tell Frank you need a car to pick you up at the airport and he can make arrangements no problem.*

ETA: I didn't realize your little one was six so either way you will be great! Sorry I missed that.

Edited: 10:12 pm, September 09, 2013
new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Thanks for your responses. We are going in mid-March and I understand it's very hot then. The only other possible solution I just came up with is staying at Salvazul. It looks like they have AC in a few rooms. Our plan is to spend two nights and visit Masaya for the night tour and spend most of the day by the lake. we'll check out the markets too. Does this sound like a good plan? Not sure how bad the road is to Salvazul if anyone knows?

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Hi Madroy

Selvazul is right on the botom on paved road...Can be a bit noisy as Monkey HUT is just next door . Monkey hut is very popular by backpackers so there can be party. Selvazull does not have a restaurant,the offer some food but its someone outside of the hotel who cookes what i heard is the qualitiy so so.. Best Restaurant in the Laguna has San Simian.

Cheers

Salta

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Sounds like Casa Robleto is our best bet. We can spend the day at San Simian as a compromise and at least escape the heat at night. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

If you're referring to the night tour at Volcan Masaya, in another thread I heard it's still suspended. Just fyi.

The taxistas in Masaya will know all the latest about what is open/closed at Volcan Masaya.

We were in Masaya mid-March of last year and it was fine. It's a little cooler in Masaya than Granada. I'm using the word "cool" as a relative term.

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Yes, I heard the night tour was suspended. I'm hoping by the time we get there in march they'll start it again- sounds amazing. Thanks for the Masaya info. it sounds like from the reviews that Casa Robleto is a quiet, comfortable place to stay, so I think we'll just make that our home base for those first two days. Hopefully we'll spend lots of time cooling off at the lake during the day!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
140 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in Masaya vs. Laguna de Apoyo?

Have stayed at San Simian several times and a trip to Nicaragua would not be complete without a visit there. It is very relaxing and perfect for a soft landing on the front end of your trip in Nicaragua or your last night or two before leaving. No need for AC there, as the lake is refreshing and I've always slept with a sheet at night. It is simply paradise...