We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

We are travelling around Nicaragua and costa rica over Xmas and new year and are trying to finalise plans.

We arrive 24th dec and will go to Granada for a few nights. We then planned to go to ometepe for few nights then SJDS and in to CR.

This means we would be in SJDS for new years eve. I have read reports of it being crazy there then. We don't mind a bit of a party but are not really up for total chaos and prefer to enjoy a quieter time as a couple, should we go somewhere else/change our plans around?

Also, will there be any transport issues at this time of year/any days ferries/buses/shuttles/flights don't go and any days the border post may be a problem?

Thank you

Granada,Nicaragua
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

Dear Jo_Aberdeen_UK

Sn Juan Sur in New year is very crowed by local and Tourists, if you are looking somethin quiter you

might try some places out Sn Juan del Sur (North or South).

In Holiday, Local transportation runs but not frequently and the Ferry they work but not all of them and

with the Border with Costa Rica you wil need to be patient in those days the border is very busy.

Best Regards

Anthony Largaespada

Tierra Tour -- Tour Operator

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

Hola Jo.

As a matter of fact i think you will have a better experience if stay in Ometepe that night or move to another beach areas as SJDS gets quite crazy, but if want to stay in SJDS i recommend to stay in some hotels a bit away from the crowd as Villas de palermo or Pelican eyes.

About transportation is better to move on private transportation because our public system is not the best and worse at this moment and at the end you pay the same amount of money on a private car than a shuttle service.

Ferry run well as everybody is moving back and for from the island.

about crossing the Costa Rica Nicaragua border i let you something i wrote for TA. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294477-c153545/Nicar…

Byron.

www.byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

How to cross the border Costa Rica/Nicaragua?

It is true that you have issues trying to go from one border to the other one. Like any other crossing border around.

So that´s why is always better to get early to the border I normally try to pass 8am because the 18 wheelers or big busses as tica bus, transnica etc, already pass and there are more but coming a bit later, If you are doing a one day trip is not necessary to change money at the border because you can pay with $ clean bill notes in Nicaragua and get some local currency back which at the end of the tour you can always change it back to Colones, at this time is C$40 Cordobas For 1000 colones which is not that bad.

There are Toilets and snack area in Costa Rica side better than the one in (now under construction 26/04/2012 will take few months to be done) Nicaragua but both sides accept $, colones or cordobas. Before you get into the migration office ask at the police at the entrance to get you some “Papeles Migratorios” extras are always better because you can use them in Nicaragua side and coming back, this Migrations forms are the same so don´t worry about that.

After stamp your passports (which may take from 15min to 4hours depending on the season, (Lots of Nicas travel back and for to visit their families in Nov, Dic, Jan and eastern season) so it can get a bit annoying waiting many hours there, or you can always find a way to bribe a cop, sorry to say that but it does happen). You walk on the gap between Costa Rica side and Nicaragua Side (pave road), show your Passports and Luggage at officers in both sides, and then on Nicaragua side walk through the Trucks Parking Area or hire a tricycle and take your right, look for the new biulding with white with Bars in the outside, here again ask for your migrations form or if you fell like tipping the guys with them is your option they fill the migration form and put you in the proper line.

Costa Rica Border taxes in and out No money (at least in this border or on the panama side because at the airport is $US28). Nicaragua border taxes in and out $US16 dollars. $ 13 entering the country $US3 leaving the country, if travelling on the Tica bus Transnica etc do not let them charge you more than that.

On Nicaragua side you will find the duty free shops very close to the migration offices in front of the bathrooms; they always have good prices for Local rum and beers. Try Flor the Caña 7year aged or 12year aged a bargain for the price. Best rum in the region.

Byron

www.byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Edited: 5:17 pm, June 04, 2013
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

But if can get the help of a private company to help you cross the border way much better or go with the first bus that leave from rivas (Tica bus, Transnica etc) buy the ticket for this ones in advance

Byron

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,724 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

We spent last Christmas in Nicaragua. For Christmas proper we stayed just outside SJDS at the Buena Vista Surf camp which would be a great place for New Years or Christmas, breakfast and dinners are served family style. Probably one of my best Christmas's ever! New Years sounds fun there too. I think there is a bit of dancing on that deck on New Years. I travel a lot and BVSC is one of my all time favorite places to stay.

http://www.buenavistasurfclub.com/

Just behind the BVSC is http://www.maderasvillage.com which I think would be fun too, a bit younger of a crowd, less $$

Personally I do not care much for the town of San Juan del Sur. Me I'd avoid it if you want a "quieter" time.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

I celebrated New Years Eve 2010-2011 - which is also my birthday! - on Ometepe. It was hard to find accommodation even when we started looking a few days in advance. Most was fully booked. We stayed in a farm hotel (El Encanto) which turned out to be much more remote than expected, and actually was a bit too boring, since the double celebration of NYE and my birthday would have been more fun in a crowded place.

We ended up having a small party at the hotel with the other guests and the very nice owner. We had bought lots of rum and mixed it with coke we bought there (he had agreed to that). We didn't really know when exactly it was midnight, we saw about 5 fireworks arrows in the far far distance, did the countdown, and never saw or heard any fireworks since.

In the end it was fun, but not what I'd been looking for.

Apparently there are huge New Years *Day* parties, for example in Balguë on Ometepe. But I also heard people get really drunk, and they may play 'traditional' games such as plucking the heads of live ducks hanging from a tree, by riding underneath it with a horse and grabbing the duck's body at the right time. Very cruel. You can probably find it on YouTube.

So: if you're looking for a quiet place, El Encanto could be it, although I didn't like the rooms (but the gardens en views were amazing, and the owner very friendly). And it's probably best to book your rooms for X-mas and NYE well in advance. And try to find photos before you book... many hotels in Nicaragua look quite horrible... whereas others can be beautiful and charming :-)

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Edited: 8:23 am, June 23, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

I would definitely pre-arrange all of your transport between cities that time of year. Your hotel can arrange taxis for you.

For what it's worth I think the El Encanto area of Ometepe is quite lovely, it's all in what you are looking for.

8. Re: Xmas and new year plans in nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 27, 2014