We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way back to the US: Awkward?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
One way back to the US: Awkward?

I was reading elsewhere that Spirit doesn't allow you to buy 1-way tickets from some places south back to the US. Yet on their website it seems easily possible with cheap fares most of the year. Maybe if they see certain IP addresses they think you're a local and are aiming to stay in the country. This is a real problem for travelers that want flexibility - and who doesn't? If you're gone for months you have no idea when you'll want to return. 1 way tickets are the only way to go. Of course you can buy refundable 1 way tickets so they pass the scrutiny of customs if they really get sticky - then refund them as soon as possible.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way back to the US: Awkward?

In May 2011 I flew Spirit one way Ft. lauderdale-Managua and again one way San Jose-Ft. Lauderdale. These weren't purchased tickets, however, these were mileage tickets gotten over the phone. I took the precaution of printing out both confirmations, and at the Spirit counhter in Ft. Lauderdale the young female rep at the counter got very antzsy about the arrangement and how would I get from Nicaragua to Costa Rica. I told her I was going to use TicaBus. She called over another rep who looked at my printout and told her to check me in, I had no further problems either way.

2. Re: One way back to the US: Awkward?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2013