We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Hello great advisors,I am heading to Nicaragua then Costa Rica next month. I am travelling with a friend,.her two young kids and my ten year old. We are arriving late night and need hotel suggestion for the night.

The following day we need to get to San Juan Del Sol for an organization (save the children). Where do we stay there?

From there Id like to visit volcanoes, beaches and such.. My daughter loves the beach, rainforest, and zipline.

We then need to get to Costa Rica for about four to five days before returning to the states..

This trip is ten days total.

PLEASE help me make this trip fun..

Whats the best transportation from Managua to San Juan Del Sol?

Transportation from SJD to Costa Rica?

What to do in both countries?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Long fligh, late at night and kids that is not a nice combination, get the closes hotel in the area as Best wester las Mercedes acroos the strett or Camino Real 3 minutes away they have shuttle service include it on the rate, next day you can wake up at the time that you desire and enjoy a bit of their pool.

Next day you can get a private van to SJDS and you should stay at at Pelican eyes or El gran oceano Pelican is a bit bigger with your own appartment even the whole group can fit there El gran Oceano is a nice hotel with pool in town, there are also many other hotels such as Royal chateu, El ferocaril etc.

From SJDS you can do day trips to Granada city and it beautifull Islands or Masaya active volcano and the surrounding cities such as Catarina view point, San juan de oriente poterry town and masaya art craft market, Mombacho volcano cloud forrets and the canopy all thought there is a nice canopy and Rappel in SJDS, but the canopy in Mombacho volcano is a must.

the most trusted transportation and tours company as Oro travel can do transfer to Costa Rica.

In Costa Rica i can also give you some advice but need to know the place where you will be.

Hopefully you have great time in Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

Edited: 11:26 pm, July 13, 2012
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Ups sorry i just check again your destination and if you are going straight to San Jose the best and cheapest transportation will be Transnica or Tica bus the fare will be at least 35 per person because the ride to San jose will be 7 hours. once in San Jose there are many nice Museum include it the kids museum and many tours around there are many good companies in Costa rica such as TAM, Grey line or swiss travel they can organize trips to places such as Arenal volcano, Poas volcano, Sarapiqui river and sightseen around San jose.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

We liked the best western after our late nighr flight.

We used rodolfo as a personal driver next mornings to sjds.

We took transnica to san jose costa rica. Bus broke down before Rivas we sat on hyway for hours

Didn't like border crossings at all but we were very tired after leaving ometepe by ferry, sitting on side of road for 4 hours then in of out of bus at borders

Once in costa Rica nice scenery and bus garage securein san jose

We would take plane next time

Have fun

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Thanks guys.. Im booking the best western in a few.. The rest Im excited to figuring.. We definately need a private van.

When it the fare says per person does that include the kids five and under?

Thanks all..

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Most transport companies will adjust prices for children, you just need to ask, as the method of doing business in C/America is very different to what you are used to. Most business owner/operators expect some negotiation of price. As to Tica Bus, I really do not recommend it for 3 young children. The extra money you will pay for a private vehicle will be worth your sanity and holiday enjoyment. Children easily get bored on the bus, and the washroom becomes radioactive after a few miles down the road. Then the border crossing can be delayed by one person, and again, not much to do but wait, wait, and more waiting. I can recommend Byron (who is part of this thread) to organize the transportation and your eventual visit to SJ some days later. When in SJ consider a walking tour down town with Barrio Bird www.toursanjosecostarica.com/index.html

Having an itinerary and the freedom to stop, take pics, and carry on keeps everyone happy. Have a great holiday.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Agree with Cajunyraveller

Wrightsville Bch, NC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Try Oro Travel. I crossed the border with them in June and it went very smooth.

Edited: 3:27 pm, July 26, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

For your group you might also check VRBO or HomeAway for places in SJDS (and also Costa Rica). I have kids and always like a kitchen:-)... and also Flipkey

Edited: 1:06 am, July 27, 2012
Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

Thanks Guys..mI really appreciate your help.

10. Re: Nicaragua to San Jose Costa Rica with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 18, 2013