We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Cays

folsom, california
Level Contributor
173 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Cays

Has anyone visited or stayed there? If so, what was your experience? Looking at this as an alternative to Little Corn.

Thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Cays

You do know the Pearl Cays have no facilities, right?

http://vianica.com/attraction/93/pearl-cays

folsom, california
Level Contributor
173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Cays

Well, I wasn't sure. I was told there was, and I saw this website which seems to suggest there was...but I'm not able to get any additional information.

www.babooncay.com

Do you know anything about this?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Cays

Ah yes, I'd read about a resort that was built without permission (land ownership dispute), on a turtle nesting site, and is stuck in legal limbo. That must be the one.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Cays

It piqued my curiosity, so I did a little search. There's tons of info on the Pearl Cays and the land dispute here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:kWWWFwiF2zkJ:munin.uit.no/bitstream/handle/10037/3081/article.pdf?sequence%3D1+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgDoqyWP0uqW8QgxbjTZZ2d8hjzAC2Wf1iwox1z10PZbhQuwrfKtS2QkJxQgtNfoYi8RZk_7yknWCLpJuuqJfNmYtN26pl-u0emguNxWEaOgdx7NHwzkpoVo3l0wO-E_ChdZPJm&sig=AHIEtbQiOJvVDbHk8GA2x3xM5aRMtPfpWg&pli=1

Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Cays

Sort of a late reply to your original post but thought I'd post in case someone else is looking. My wife and I traveled around Nicaragua in 2010 and did venture out to the Pearl Cays for a night. We hired a panga boat and driver during a couple of night stay in Pearl Lagoon. It was about an hour boat ride from Pearl Lagoon to the islands and the trip cost us about $200 USD. It was just my wife and I and the driver and his son who went out there and stayed for the night. It would obviously be cheaper if you were able to find others interested in going out there. Whether you go with others or by yourself I would highly recommend it. The Pearl Cays are simply paradise. Quiet, picture perfect sandy beaches with coconut trees. The islands are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere and no mainland is visible from them. Our driver used to be the caretaker at a mansion on one of the bigger islands so we stopped there and inquired about 'camping' for the night. The mansion was boarded up and was in a 'run down' looking condition although the first link below shows something different now. We didn't end up staying there because the sand fleas were known to be relentless, even in the house. We then stopped at the Pink Pearl, second link below, but didn't end up staying there either. The island and bungalows were nice enough and at the time the only real accommodations available that didn't include sleeping on the beach. We did end up going back to the Pink Pearl that evening where they prepared an incredible lobster dinner for us! We ended up staying on an island right next to the Pink Pearl island with a large three story house that wasn't completed and construction had stopped altogether. We camped on that island with 4 or 5 fisherman caretakers of the island and out tour guide and his son. Quite the incredible journey and if you happen to find yourself on the east coast of Nicaragua and are wondering what to do next, check out the Pearl Cays!

http://www.eden-cay.com/

http://www.pinkpearlisland.com/

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Cays

Is it OK going in August or it is really not worth it because of the whether, and what is the best way to get there from Granada or Managua... ?

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Cays

Hi

The only hotel where i am aware which ist still open is

http://www.pinkpearlisland.com/

I was there last year but jus passing buy..mean had lunch and a few beers...its very remote and the Island is very tiny...in 3 minutes you walked around the whole island...nice sandy beach and turqoise water...You can flight to Bluefields take from there a boat (Panga) to Languna de Perla about one hour and from there another panga to the island...Note the trip from Laguna de Perlas to the island will cost around USD 180 gasoline is very expensive...the captain told me that for him to purchase the gasoline coust USD 140 and he sells the tour for USD 180...so he makes USD 40...If you like to go look that you can find other tourist so you can split the cost...Maybe the owner can offer cheaper transportation..

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Cays

Thanks very much for the info. But a few more questions: Do these boats from Bluefield and the lagoon leave pretty regularly?How do you find out more info and hours..? Do you know if it is possible to take land transportation from Managua or Granada to the lagoon ? Also I hope August will be alright in terms of whether.

It seems may be it would be easier/cheaper to go to Corn Island.I would love to spend a few days in the Caribbean side.

Thanks a lot

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl Cays

Hi

Here the webpage where you can find schedules from Bluefields to Pear Lagoon

rightsideguide.com/transport-schedules/

From Pearl Lagoon to Pear Keys no regular schedule you have to organize your own transport...For sure to go to Corn Island is cheaper....

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearl Cays

Thanks a lot for the reply!