We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries/Supplies

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries/Supplies

What would be the best market to buy groceries and supplies on the way to the Southwest beach areas from Managua? The La Colonia, La Union or the Pali that are in Managua area? Or would the Pali in Rivas be a better choice? We will be staying in the area for a month.

Thanks for your input.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries/Supplies

What southwest beaches are you referring to?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries/Supplies

The best supplies will be at Rivas (if you do not want to take them from managua) at the MAXI PALI in Rivas after you past the ESSO and the TEXACO gas station on the way to SJDS. Not the PALI supermarket inside RIVAS.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries/Supplies

The Hacienda Iguana area.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries/Supplies

Well if you going to Hacienda Iguana, before getting there drive another mile to Maxi Pali do groceries, and enjoy the beaches.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Edited: 12:18 pm, January 28, 2012
San Diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries/Supplies

I will be arriving midday in Managua and travelling to Playa Gigante (Aqua Wellness Resort). I would like to pick up about half the food for 4 people for 5 days. I don't mind shopping in Managua or along the way. Would you still recommend the Maxi Pali? I am not familiar with the area - will it be en route to Playa Gigante or would it be past where we turn off the main road?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries/Supplies

Your driver will know where it is, is is about a mile after the turn to where you are going, Maxi Pali will be your place. Are you driving yourself??

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries/Supplies

I would reccomend shopping at La Colonia on the way out of Managua, on the main road. That is what we did, and we were glad we did, as the Maxi Pali in Rivas did not have as much selection as La Colonia. If you do use the Maxi Pali in Rivas, use the new one on the main highway, just past the turnoff to Tola. The old Pali in town is a bit smaller. The La Colonia we used in Managua was about a mile past the turnoff to the Hotel Contempo. There are also two banks in the small strip mall La Colonial is located, both with ATM's. Hope that helps.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries/Supplies

I would reccomend shopping at La Colonia on the way out of Managua, on the main road. That is what we did, and we were glad we did, as the Maxi Pali in Rivas did not have as much selection as La Colonia. If you do use the Maxi Pali in Rivas, use the new one on the main highway, just past the turnoff to Tola. The old Pali in town is a bit smaller. The La Colonia we used in Managua was about a mile past the turnoff to the Hotel Contempo. There are also two banks in the small strip mall La Colonial is located, both with ATM's. Hope that helps.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries/Supplies

Thank you all for your quick replies!

Yes - we are driving ourselves. Are the Maxi Pali and La Colonia both large stores with obvious signs?

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries/Supplies

regarding the La Colonia, personally we shop at the Galerias Santo Domingo location, which is about three or four kilometers closer to downtown Managua. The one at km 13 (after Hotel Contempo) is smaller and does not have the variety that the other one at km 8 has. Both are located on the same road, Carretera a Masaya, which is the highway leading south towards Rivas and San Juan del Sur.

This is if you want imported gourmet foods...if you are okay sticking with the basics you will be fine with the MaxiPali on the highway in Rivas.

Now keeping refrigerated and frozen things in good shape without a cooler is another issue altogether...enjoy your stay @ Playa Iguana!