We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

We are planning a trip to Nicaragua over the Christmas period our itinerary includes Managua, Leon, Matagalpa, Granada and Morgans Rock.

We have thought about hiring a car but there seems to be mixed thoughts on the forum on this. So anyone who's hired one would be interested how easy it was to zip from place to place and what happens when you/if you get stopped by the police? By the way we don't speak Spanish

Is it better to hire taxi's to take us to each destination? If so what sort of cost would this be?

Of is there another way?

Look forward to anyones help

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Matagalpa
Matagalpa
Matagalpa Department, Nicaragua
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Different tour operators will offer transportation services from one point to the other. I will go from Managua to Leon - Matagalpa - Granada - Morgan's Rock and lastly back to Managua for your flight.

Having somebody drive you around will also make it easier for you having to deal with police, most fo the time if somebody gets stopped on the road is for a routine check, making sure that all the vehicle's documents are in order

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Matagalpa
Matagalpa
Matagalpa Department, Nicaragua
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

When I was in Nicaragua, I intentionally did not drive. My opinion was that I didn't want to have to figure out signs in Spanish while trying to drive a car (and I speak/read at least rudimentary Spanish). Admittedly, I also was traveling on the cheap as I was traveling for 5 months. I also was willing to be somewhat adventurous.

For short trips, I took mostly the microbuses (occasionally the school buses, but preferred the microbuses). At the time, 50 cents (or 10 Cordobas) for school buses and $1 (20 Cordobas) for the microbuses.

For inter-city travel, I booked with Paxeos (www.paxeos.com). There are other van services similar to Paxeos, but that was the one I used and was satisfied with in terms of price and service.

If you drive and are stopped, have paperwork handy I suppose. Also remember these phrases "no entiendo" (no en-t-en-doe, I do not understand) or "no hablo espanol" (no ah-blow es-pan-yole, I do not speak Spanish). Alternately, an even better plan is try to get at least some basic Spanish or bring a book/pocket computer/phone app.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Brilliant - Thanks very much for your replies both very helpful :-)

plant city, florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

I would rent a car and drive myself. Roads are easy to navigate, driving is less hectic than other latin countries, and your on your own schedule. I know it must happen but I've never been bothered by police there. Really, imo, the only place confusing is managua...I did get lost, actually a cop helped me out with directions. And the signs...you'll figure them out!

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

I am arriving Nicaragua on the 8th of July in the afternoon, Tica Bus, I reside in another Central American country, por lo tanto, yo hablo espanol y no lo necesito piloto bi lingue, will need transportation in and around Managua, I usually stay in Bolonia. saludos

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Managua
Managua
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Bezt to have a local driver owner drive you and take you places 'tourists' do not go off teh bezten path, if you do rent a car do not ever leave it on the street, especailly with valubles inside, all rental cars are new and stand out in small towns, rural areas, always fid a secure parking spot with security and give a small tip to the guard. If you do not speak Spanish, beware of corrupt trnsit cops, a minority, but all it takes is one, yelling in English does no good, money talks, also roads in many places in Nicaragua evenings are crowded with kids and people on bicycles who may dart out in front of you, a local knows how to drive locally and in case of accident the driver owner has liabilty. /Enjoy yourself and bet have a local with you, native guide if going into remote areas or climbing volcanoes alone. Be aware and use common sense!!!!!!!!!! saludos

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Im trying to plan my trip to get to El Recreo near Rama. Is it possible to drive there from the airport in managua??

USA
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way To Getting Around Nicaragua

Whenever we go to Nicaragua we rent a car and driving there is not that difficult. You just have to be very, very aware and don't drive after dark. There will be bikes, cows, people, pigs and who knows what else in the road, (I saw a woman changing a babies diaper in the road) but most of the roads are two lane and the traffic isn't really that bad (except in Managua) so it's not as bad as it sounds. We do not speak spanish but we had no trouble with the road signs, they are all in pictures just like in the US. We did get pulled over by the police 3 times, two of those cost us $10 each but one time they just wanted to see our passports. Nicaragua is an adventure and driving is just part of the adventure :)

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Managua
Managua
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply