We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for study opportunities/ medicinal plants...

St. Paul
12 posts
Save Topic
looking for study opportunities/ medicinal plants...

My party is going overland from Mexico to Costa Rica next April. One of my goals is to find legitimate, reputable healers, herbalists, bush doctors, shamen or medicine people to contact, talk to and possibly study with on a future trip.

I am interested in and will eagerly participate in pre-packaged tourist oriented seminars, especially if they benefit native or local people. But I am also looking for something a little deeper, a little more serious, a little more long term.

I emphasize that on this trip I just want to meet people and make contacts in order to scope out possibilities for an internship or apprenticeship type experience in the future.

Any ideas, suggestion or experiences people want to share? I welcome your comments. Anyone visited or used the services of any kind of traditional healer in Central America? Were you satisfied? Were you cured? Again, I warmly welcome and appreciate any comments you are willing to share. Thank you.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for study opportunities/ medicinal plants...

Hello,

I am a pediatrician and spent two months living in the town of El Sauce (about an hour and a half by bus from Leon) in 2004. A fascinating man named Eli Luna, a curandero who grows a wide variety of plants and makes house calls as well as treating patients on his porch, lives nearby, near the Guayabo Health Post. The best way to get to the area is probably to stop by the El Sauce health center and ask when they are visiting Guayabo, then see if you can hitch a ride in the ambulance! Otherwise you could ask someone to take you there on horseback. I wish you the best of luck with your adventure.