We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe?

I am planning my first trip to Nicaragua for March of 2010 and was very excited until I read the Travel Warning from the US Embassy. Is there much truth to this? I've traveled to Costa Rica before and always feel that its quite safe. The US Embassy is far kinder in their report on CR than Nicaragua. Please share your thoughts.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe?

I lived in Costa Rica for nearly 3 years, I've lived in Nicaragua for more than 2.

I feel safer in Nicaragua!!!

note: don't believe what the US Government tells you, sometimes they get it wrong;)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe?

Would you say that traveling by car without a guide is unsafe in Nicaragua or traveling after dark? That's one of the things that sounded the most dangerous based on the State Department report.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe?

well, there have been incidents where tourists have been mugged near the entrance to Masaya National Park and traveling after dark isn't the safest time to travel, but overall it's a safe country.

If you want piece of mind let a local company sort out all your arrangements.

these guys are friends of mine:

http://www.nicaraguavacationpackages.com

vancouver canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe?

I believe it is as safe as anywhere unless maybe the volcano erupts. I traveled with two young women ( I am old) and we eperienced no problems and found it easy enough to get around. Having said that, if you are looking for nice beaches and pristine water, forget this place. People seem attracted to islands but the fact is the mainland is better by my perception for beaches, activities and such.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe?

Hi,

I first went to Nica as a volunteer in 86 at the height of the U.S. backed aggression by the contra; I picked coffee on a farm in Matagulpa and was in Managua when the constitution was signed... it was thrilling. I never felt unsafe, and not just because I was young and fearless; the people were amazing, so grateful for the support of volunteers in their struggle for independence from hundreds of years of colonialism. Its is a beautiful, beautiful country that I am sure will continue to be developed for tourism - hopefully not in too ugly a way. I went back as a tourist to Pochomil in 05 and was blown away - people just as wonderful as I remembered, but this time no coffee picking and deserted beach that was like paradise. Go and enjoy, there is nothing to fear.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe?

I would echo much of the sentiment that was shared by others. I was in Nicaragua for about 4-5 weeks last year. I also have read the warnings by the State Department. My sense is the State Department has the job to keep citizens safe, and perhaps goes a little overboard on their warnings. Is that to say there is no crime on tourists in Nicaragua or those victimized should have their experiences downplayed or belittled? Of course not, but overall if you use common sense I think you are as safe in most places in Nicaragua as anywhere. I would suspect, to some degree, crime follows opportunity...don't put yourself into unsafe situations and you should be fine (just like anywhere in the world).

When I traveled, I went as a backpacker and pretty extensively walked, and also took local buses to locations beyond walking distance. This included some in Managua, probably your greatest opportunity to be a victim. I never encountered a problem beyond getting a little lost and being solicited for money or purchases of items. If you feel unsafe, get a taxi as they are comparatively inexpensive. Otherwise, go see Nicaragua for its natural beauty and (thus far) "non-touristy" feel.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe?

I've been to Costa Rica 4 times and just got back from an 18 day trip to Nicaragua and can say that Nicaragua felt way more safe than Costa Rica. We were able to walk the streets of Granada and Leon day or night and never felt to even have a hit of danger. In Leon there was a police officer on just about every other street corner even at 10pm. We even walked around a part of Managua for a few hours and dind';t have a problem

In Costa Rica I've walked around San Jose and Alajuela trice during the day way more sketchy.

8. Re: Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 08, 2010