We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

There were riots at the U.S. Embassy in Managua on 10/29/09 due to some comments made by the US ambassador. I am wondering if the anti-US sentiment is widespread. We are traveling to Nicaragua next week and are now concerned for our safety. We are flying into Managua and immediately traveling to San Juan del Sur. Is there any reason we should be worried?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

There is no reason to be worried, all those protest are over with and verything is back to normal, even if there were protest, you will be safe.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

It was just rent-a-mob.

Don't worry about it.

Granada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Two days ago I passed the ministry of foreign affairs in Managua during a small demonstration again the US ambassador. It was peaceful (only a little firework) and eventhough I could easily pass for a gringo there were no problems. The comment from The Nicaragua Blog sums it up very nicely.

No reason for alarm. Nicaraguans are basically very friendly and peaceful people.

4. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 04, 2010