We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

My husband and I are planning a long term stay in Nicaragua, starting in January. Funny thing is, we've never even been there. We're very excited and also nervous at times. I'm wondering if I could get some opinions regarding some questions and concerns that I have.

We're not sure exactly where we would live yet, but we've been thinking that it's between Granada and San Juan Del Sur. Because we love the beach so much, we tend to lean towards San Juan Del Sur. I've read on various websites that it's possible to get decent, furnished Long Term rental properties for about $400 a month. I can't seem to find anything even remotely close to that. Is there any truth to this?

Has anyone had any personal experience with Spanish Immersion there? Although we have started Spanish lessons, we were thinking that an immersion program could be very helpful. We found a few online but have not heard of any personal experiences.

We would appreciate any advice or thoughts that you have to offer to us :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

We also are going to Nicaragua, from December to the end of March, travelling from Canada. We have chosen San Juan Del Sur, as it seems like a beautiful place and close to Costa Rica, if we decide to visit there. We have found a cabana for $580 per month which includes all utilities, such as, hydro, electric and hi-fi.We are very excited, yet a bit nervous. Would love to hear from you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

Thank you for posting! How did you find your Cabana to rent? Most of what I find online is vacation rental for much higher than that. Have you been to Nicaragua before? We too are very excited, but nervous also.

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

I googled Nicarauga Realty and ended up in a site Auruora Realty. I contacted them and they set me up with a cabana. It is right in town, a five minute walk which is what we wanted, as we do not want to have to have a 4 x 4 continually. What made you choose Nicaragua anyways. The reason I ask, is many of our friends are kind of shocked that we picked this place. Most people go to Mexico, Florida etc. We found Nicar. on a television channel called HGTV. People are going there as it is quite beautiful and cheaper than Costa Rica. We were in Florida all last winter, but I guess we need some adventure. LOL. Where are you from?

Granada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

If you look a bit further than San Juan del Sur (which is the most popular area and thus often also the most expensive) you should able to find something within your price range. For instance try looking at Rancho Santana (http://www.ranchosantana.com/ - http://www.wanderlust-online.com/) and rentals in Granada - several are on offer.

Spanish immersion is a great way to get introduced to the country and get new friends (speaking from personal experience). Especially in Leon, Granada and SJDS (but also in other parts) you find many good schools and teachers. It is difficult to judge a school from only a web site so if possible make your own on site investigation when you arrive.

Steen

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

We have already rented our cabana in SJDS. Are you receiving all the immunizations and do you know anything about the mosquito population??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

Thank you OROtravel. I will check out those websites and email them. I appreciate it.

For some reason I was thinking that I needed to book ahead into an immersion program, but I like your idea of looking at the schools once we get there. Great advice, thank you! You said from personal experience so I gather you did an immersion? Your personal thoughts.. should one go to immersion for at least a 2 week period of time?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

retireeOntario, we're from the Vancouver area. One of the key reasons that we have chosen Nicaragua is because of what we've learned about the warmth of the local people.

Yes, we have started getting all immunizations.

I'm not sure about the mosquito populations. I'll leave that to be answered by someone who knows the area personally. :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

Im just so suprised, as you are the second canadian that is or has been there. Makes me feel better about going there, as it is my hubby that chose this place. Im also glad to hear the people are so nice. Never know, maybe we will bump into each other while there..lol.

Granada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

I first came to Nicaragua to learn Spanish and travel, but feel hopelessly in love with the place is now living here. I did immersion in Granada, San Juan del Sur, Leon and later with a private teacher in her house.

Personally, to get any real and lasting benefit of the Spanish clases do at least a month, but I definitely would recommend a longer period (at least 3 months). The schools are flexible so just tell them how many classes/ hours per week you want, if you want breaks to travel etc. and they will accommodate you.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Nicaragua in January for a 1 year stay.

You could also look at Las Penitas near Leon.

Playa Gigante is a small beach north of San Juan del Sur that's 'on the up', Spanish School there!

Why not get a place to rent in Granada for 1 month, brush up on your Spanish and look at places on the beach from there!?

http://www.thenicaragualog.com