We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
182 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

I have off at the end of June and my niece and I are planning to take a vacation to swim, snorkel, horseback ride, and fish. Last year, we visited Costa Rica and loved it! We stayed in hostels and everyone we met HIGHLY recommended Nicaragua. So...

That's where we'd like to go but, originally, I planned on Belize this summer. Any suggestions as to which would be better and why?

If we do go to Nicaragua, I'd like to visit the Corn Islands. How difficult is it to do without taking a plane? Or, are the flights that cheap? Where should we visit and what should we do? Again, CHEAP but clean lodgings are preferred (Hostels tend to be our usual "home away from home".)

I've done some research so I do understand that Nicaragua is more rustic, which is okay by me. However, my niece is opposed to too much exercise. lol I just don't want to do the usual touristy stuff. YUCK!!!

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Matagalpa Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
No Rush Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Mas Adventures
Day Trips, Horseback Riding Tours, City Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

Less than 2 years ago I paid $175 round trip from Managua to the Corn Islands. I don't think optional travel is something for you to consider - travel by bus to El Rama on the Caribbean, and boat to the Corn Islands. I believbe that you would find the hostel situation in Nicaragua similar to Costa Rica, and less so in Belize.

KELOWNA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

Check out camping matildas,,on the beach at playa maderas,20 minute cab or bus from san juan del sur,,on the pacific,,,I live there for 6 months of the year ,,right on the beach great for every thing aquatic,,,5-to 25 a nite privates, wood burning cooking area,pots pans,plates etc, boogie boards for rent,safe beach, good beaches (3 withing 200meters,) great surf, water truck,and fruiot and veg truck twice a week, beer,pop, juice etc, for sale,,3 small restruanrs right there,,,,,,,,very nice ,,tell no one!! tell antoniop or matildas that marcos sent you...enjoy...adios

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

Keep the suggestions coming:)

FoodyOne - I LOVE Kelowna! I went snowboarding there a few years ago and have always wanted to go back during the summer. The hostel I stayed at was right on the slopes. GREAT fun!!!

4. Re: Belize, Nicaragua, or ? with a 13-year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 29, 2009