We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dale Dagger tours

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Dale Dagger tours

My husband and I recently traveled to Nicaragua. I contacted Dale Dagger tours 10 days prior to our vacation to plan a couple of day trips during our stay. I received a reply from a woman named Alyce (I believe she posts on trip advisor as “travelswithdog”. She did a great job finding out exactly what we wanted to see and working with us to create trips that would be exactly to our liking. I felt very good about working with her. We were arriving in Nicaragua on 01/26, but were flying in to Atlanta for our connecting flight the evening of the 25th. The last e-mail I received from Alyce was on the 24th (with the itinerary and price for our tour). I wrote back asking to make a small change (we wanted to do kayaking instead of horseback riding-neither one of these was included in the price and would take place during our free time). I did not hear anything back from her. I e-mailed her on the morning of the 25th letting her know that I was waiting for the Paypal link as we were leaving home that afternoon. I also requested her phone number just in case we needed to get in touch with her. I e-mailed her again before leaving for the airport letting her know that I would check my e-mail Sunday or Monday. We were scheduled to go on one tour on Tuesday 01/29 and on the second tour on Thursday 01/31. I finally received an e-mail from her on Monday the 28th apologizing for taking so long to get back to me. This was my response:

"I am at the resort and am unable to fill out and send you the payment form (due to the computer I am using). Can we pay through Paypal? Also, we were scheduled to do the canopy tour tomorrow. What time will we be picked up from the resort? Do you have a phone number you can be reached at? Internet service here is very unreliable. I will check my email again this evening and will plan on being picked up for the canopy tour tomorrow morning."

I finally got an e-mail from her at 10:20 pm Monday night letting us know that she couldn’t get confirmation from the canopy tour company so our trip was canceled. We were supposed to go on that tour the next morning. I wrote to her the next day asking if the Granada tour was still on for Thursday and reminding her that I couldn’t fill out the payment form on the hotel’s computer. I received a reply from her Wednesday afternoon letting me know that she was in the US. She gave me the phone number of someone to contact in Nicaragua. I did not check my e-mail until after dinner and when I called the number I was provided, I was told that it was too late and that they did not have anyone scheduled to take us on the Granada tour the next day.

Needless to say, we didn’t go on any tours with Dale Dagger. I was extremely disappointed and frustrated as I had taken the time and the effort to try to get everything finalized before departing for Nicaragua. What started off as good communication fell apart at the end. We ended up salvaging our vacation by hiring taxis on both of those days and making our own tours. I would not recommend Dale Dagger tours. I feel that they were extremely unprofessional and caused us undue stress and anxiety during our vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dale Dagger tours

I cannot comment on Dagger Tours, I have no knowledge of the company. I have used Oro Travel in Granada extensively, and have recommended that tour company to friends and acquaintances. I have also seen positve comments on Oro Travel on this forum. (www.orotravel.com, information@orotravel.com, tel. 505-552-4568)

I hope you return because there is much to do and see in Nicaragua - e.g. the Selva Negra coffee plantation in Matagalpa Department, many activities out of Granada, the Corn Islands, Omotepe Island,etc.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Matagalpa
Matagalpa
Matagalpa Department, Nicaragua
Corn Islands
Corn Islands
Southern Atlantic Autonomous Region, Nicaragua
Holyoke...
Level Contributor
68 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dale Dagger tours

We tried emailing this company from the states and never got a response. When we got to San Juan Del Sur for the first week of February, their office was right down the road from our hotel and it never looked open. One person at the hotel who lives in town told us they mainly dealt with surfers and he didn't seem too impressed with them. There are not a lot of tour company options in SJDS yet, but it seems that will be changing as the town seems to be gearing up more and more for tourists. I'm glad you made your own tours - that seems to be the best option right now and there seems to be a few very reputable folks in town who use their own cars/taxis to help folks see more of the country.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan del Sur
San Juan del Sur
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dale Dagger tours

Well, that explains why Travelswithdog is always recommending Dale Dagger tours. I thought this forum wasn't for commercial advertising?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dale Dagger tours

We used Oro travel for transport to/from the airport. I would highly recommend them. We received a response to our e-mail within hours and had all of the transportation arrangments finalized within 24 hours. The drivers very friendly and professional and the cars were in excellent condition. I wish that I had planned in advance to use them for our tours as well. We loved Nicaragua and plan on returning and will most likely use Oro travel for all of our tranportation needs.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
BC
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dale Dagger tours

Thanks for the advice.

Heading to SJDS next week and never heard back from Dale dagger but will contact Oro.

Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dale Dagger tours

My name is Tom Taylor and I work for Dale here in Nicaragua. Seems in our first month of trying to expand our business we've done nothing but fail.

izzi13 I have no idea what happened with your trip and I apologize a 100 times over. I am going figure it out because everything I was told said you were happy and everything went great. So you can imagine my surprise finding us on top of google for a negative post in this forum.

Ayeeyo & nelson95 - were looking into the problem with our hosting company and I apologize for the lack of response on our part.

We do not have an office in san juan del sur, what has been mistaken for our office is Dales house and he no longer lives there. Our office is north of san juan del sur which is where we run our surf tours out of.

We have been doing surf tours for over 15 years here in Nicaragua and I can assure you this is not an accurate reflection on how we run business or how we have been successful.

I apologize again to you folks and I'll keep watching this post.

Thanks,

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dale Dagger tours

Ok big thanks for Host Monster! They have our email problem fixed! The bad news is I cannot get a hold of all of the emails that had been sent to the info account since they all bounced. So unfortunately I cannot get a hold of any of you to via email.

Moving forward to try to get all the growing pains worked out. Apologize to all of you and mostly to izzi13 whom as taught us a lesson. If you folks return to Nicaragua I owe you one and would be honored to have a chance to pay you back for being such a inconvenience to you folks.

Sincerely,

Tom Taylor

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dale Dagger tours

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the apology.

Izabela

Holyoke...
Level Contributor
68 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dale Dagger tours

I also appreciate the reply and that you left feedback on this forum. I found this forum a tremendous help when trying to plan our trip, but it happens that when you get on the ground in the country, things may have changed, so your explanation is both appreciated and understandable. SJDS does not have the infrastructure to quite support what we are used to in the states yet, and I understand that.......

Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dale Dagger tours

Ya'll are quite welcome and I appreciate both of your responses. Good luck in your future travels.

Peace and Happiness,

Tom