We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week holiday to Nicaragua (with surfing) - Help!

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 week holiday to Nicaragua (with surfing) - Help!

My boyfriend and I are planning a holiday from London (UK) to Nicaragua in June 2008 for 2 weeks. He surfs (fairly well - has surfed around Europe and Australia), however I am a beginner.

We are trying to plan a holiday where both our tastes are covered, ideally the following:

A week close to or on a beach with good surf - with a surf school for me to join, and he can spend all day out back enjoying proper surf! Preferably good location/nightlife etc (we are in our late 20s) - we would even spend a few days at one surf spot, then head over to another for a few days.

I would also like to spend a couple of nights in Granada and travel over to the Corn Islands for a couple of nights too.

Do you think this is possible - and can anyone recommend an order to do it all in?

Sorry to be such a pain and ask so many questions but I am having difficulty finding advice on planning a vacation to Nicaragua.

Lastly - we are on a tight budget! We'd rather spend more money on exploring than accomodation, so any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated

We're so excited!!

Barefoot Surf Travel
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Nica Sail and Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Boat Tours
San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Surf Popoyo Lessons​
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Sports Camps & Clinics
Chicago, IL, USA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week holiday to Nicaragua (with surfing) - Help!

I suggest purchasing the Lonely Planet book titled "Nicaragua & El Salvador". There #1 suggestion for surfing in Nica was San Juan del Sur. Alternatively, Popoyo is suggested. In El Salvador, try Punta Roca for the best surfing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week holiday to Nicaragua (with surfing) - Help!

If you arrive in time to catch either national airline (Atlantic or Costena) servicing the Corn Islands, you could go directly there (about U.S. $175 each round trip). Or if too late, you could stay across the street from the terminal at the Las Mercedes Best Western and catch the early morning flight to the Corn Islands. The Las Mercedes may be more than you want to pay, about $60. You could also opt for budget accommodations further away in Managua. Check some of the previous comments on this forum regarding those lodging alternatives. There are enough budget acoomodations on both the Corn Islands. When you return to Managua International, then you can have a pre-arranged shuttle for Granada. Granada has any number of hostels/hospedajes. After your stay in Granada, you can shuttle to San Juan del Sur, and after that week, shuttle back to Managua International. For comprehensive shuttle service, check www.paxeos.com. Also Tierra Tours in Granada provides shuttle service.

An alternative, maybe easier, with a little back-tracking but not that much, would be go directly to Granada upon arrival (an hour or less), spend your two days there, and get grounded in the country. Then shuttle/taxi to Managua International for an early morning flight to the Corn Islands. Upon return to Managua International, shuttle direct to San Juan del Sur.

I just received this trip journal, written by a friend of a friend which is very recent and you may find it relevant to some extent.

Check http://www.mytripjournal.com/reginaodyssey

3. Re: 2 week holiday to Nicaragua (with surfing) - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 20, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now