We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week Itinerary

Milwaukee
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 Week Itinerary

My wife and I are considering visiting for one week in August. We would like to spend time on the lake in Granada and potentially also relaxing on a beach, but not at a cancun style resort. Does anyone have ideas for itinerary. I would prefer not to drive so ideas for transportation would be helpful too. My wife is a native spanish speaker so communication is not a problem.

Also, how rainy will it be in August?

Green Pathways
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Nicaroads
Taxis & Shuttles
santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week Itinerary

First bit of advice: Stay longer if you can!

As for Granada: There aren't really any hotels on the lake. Actually, I think that I remember one on the land-ward side of the lake boulevard... but it didn't look fab. You might be able to rent a house in the Isletas... which would be lovely... but not really Granada!

Surprisingly (at least to me!), the lake front in Granada isn't downtown... it's about 3/4 of a mile from the main Plaza where the Cathedral is (and many of the hotels). We stayed at Casa San Francisco about 3 blocks from the plaza and had them arrange a boat ride through the Isletas (actually kayaking for us... but the boat rides looked fun, too). We also spent a fun day at the Laguna de Apoyo. There are several hotels/b&b's on the lakeside there. We enjoyed Granada and its environs so much that we spent a week there with 3 or 4 daytrips to different areas that we wanted to see (the craft pueblos, etc). All with different guides or companies (such as the horseback riding folks) arranged by the hotel. I would say absolutely no need to rent a car.

If you had more time, check out San Juan del Sur for a beach town. If you want to avoid highrise hotels, you'll have no problem... there are none yet! Most of the hotels are 5 to 8 room size with a few exceptions.

And as for weather in August, I don't know first hand, but several locals said that July and August were their favorite months for weather as the rains were intermittent, the hills are green, and temperatures were not too hot, not too cool... sounds pretty ideal!

Milwaukee
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week Itinerary

Thanks for the help. I've been reading about Casa San Francisco and I think we'll stay there. We are definetely into ecotourism so things like hiking and Kayaking are right up our alley.

We can only stay one week so how woudl an itinerary of 4 days in Granada and 3 days on Ometepe be?

Does anyone know how full service Casa San Francisco is in helping to arrange day trips?

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week Itinerary

You'll have a great time! And our experience with the Casa San Francisco concierges was excellent. Their english was great, they made suggestions on our itinerary, and everything they arranged for us went like clockwork! We took their advice on the Blue Mtn Horseback riding - really enjoyed it! They also arranged our kayaking and a separate zipline trip. FYI: There are 2 ziplines outside Granada... we did the one in the national park (the other is on private land). The Casa SF also found us a driver and car for a very fun day visiting the craft pueblos, the craft market in Masaya, and the laguna de apoyo. We also used a driver and car to get to the airport from the Casa SF on the morning that we flew out. It took us about 1 hr and cost... I think it was $25... but can't swear to that!

We stayed at the Villa Paraiso on Ometepe, which I would also recommend... we arranged a taxi to the ferry, then found another taxi driver on Ometepe - or he found us... it was very easy! On our return, we arranged a taxi (using the Villa Paraiso folks) on the Rivas side and I was glad we had as the scene was quite chaotic and a bit pushy! Don't miss seeing the Ojo de Agua, it's about a 2 mile walk from the Villa Paraiso and we took the buses partway there and back. We also used a driver named Edward for a daytrip around the island and really liked him! Any of the hotels know him!

4. Re: 1 Week Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, September 01, 2009