We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

Wondering if anti malarials are really necessary for travel to Granda and Ometepe areas? If the CDC lumps Nica in with MX, then I know most of us do not take Chloriquine for MX.

Please help.

Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

Most travelers and expatriates don't.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

We struggled with this question too and decided not to take anything. We went in March, the dry season, and boy was it dry! I don't think we even saw a mosquito, and we went on the boat tour of Las Isletas as well as out to Ometepe from San Jorge. We did get accosted by small biting bugs on the ferry boat but they were not mosquitos and we were able to go inside to get away from them. SO, I think especially if you are going in the dry season you really don't need to (disclaimer here: I am not a health professional of any sort and speak only from 6 days experience in Nica). We returned with an awful lot of bug lotion unused and mosquito netting still in its original packaging. Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

Went to both Granada and Ometepe island and did not take any anti-malaria and/or other vaccinations.

I have fond memories of Granada, I wrote an article about it.

associatedcontent.com/article/63614/travel_t…

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

We did not take antimalarial drugs in Nica.

We were, however, advised to be very careful with moskie repellent on Ometepe as the country does not do any moskie control there. In most major cities (Granada, San Juan del Sur), the gov't sprays several times a year to keep the population low. And fyi the locals seemed more concerned about dengue fever, which malaria drugs don't help...

5. Re: Anti malarial necessary for travel to Granada and Ometepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 29, 2009