We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Salvador airport layover question

San Jose. Ca.
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
San Salvador airport layover question

Had choice of 4 plane changes or 7 hour lay over in San Salvador I chose the latter.

What can I do with 7 hours? is my choice something or nothing.

Place to eat etc any advice welcomed

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

Same boat as you Moses2. Would like to know of the hotel options near the airport for a one night stopover - preferably within reason $$

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:03 am, December 05, 2014
3. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:02 am, December 05, 2014
Stanford, California
Level Contributor
63 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

Hello,

I'm in the same boat too...8 hour layover from 7:30am-3:30pm. My command on Spanish is pretty weak. Is it easy to get from the airport to the beach and back? What would you recommend? Also, are there tour company kiosks at the airport, so I could decide on the fly?

Thanks!

Siddharth

Baltimore
Level Contributor
51 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

I'm in the same situation as everyone else. From what I can tell on the Lonely Planet forums, one simply has to take a very cheap and roughly 70 minute bus ride to get to La Libertad from the airport. Taxis are obviously faster but cost $30 (and more?)

from what i can tell from google maps, there isn't much around the airport itself.

San Salvador seems to be about 40 minutes by taxi and also is accessible by cheap local and slow bus.

San Jose. Ca.
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

Well having just been there I had my answer. It cost 50 bucks to leave and come back into airport. There is nothing and I mean nothing but a subway, a bunch of junk shops and a couple coffee places. So either be prepared to pay that exta $50 or bring something to entrain yourself. As for me I met a nice young man on his way to Australia to study IT and he was actually going to be in a class at Melbourne Uiv taught by a good friend of mine so we chatted for the 4+ hours he had between planes. This is what I think makes travel a great experience.

Save Reply
7. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

There is nothing to do in the airport, but leaving is going to cost a little bit. I'd bring a good book (there are no good book shops in the airport), or a couple movies to watch.

8. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

Removed on: 4:11 am, December 10, 2014
9. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 6:50 am, April 07, 2015
Suchitoto, El...
Level Contributor
45 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Salvador airport layover question

La Libertad beaches for a nice seafood lunch and dinner. If done on your own negotiate with the taxi driver so he will wait, invite him to lunch, many times they double as driver guides and many speak English. By taxi to the La Libertad beaches and back should run between $50-$60- For a longer layover contact any of the smaller tour companies to arrange your time the best possible. Don't forget to calculate about 30-40 minutes to get through customs and your time to get checked in before your out going flight(1-2 hours).

Options for a short layover with a driver/guide or private tour company would be 1) City tour(historic, museums, shopping, Boquerón volcano, Puerto de diablo) 2) Volcano tour to Cerro Verde with lunch at Lake Coatepeque, 3) Mayan sites(not open on Mondays), 4)Beaches, 5) for longer layovers, Ruta de Flores, 6) Barra de Santiago Mangrove tour, 7) Suchitoto.

If you want more details and or recommendations fro local tour guides PM me.

Enjoy you trip.

Robert Broz Moran