We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

i would like to hear of your adventure of riding the VIP bus which begins at the Sheraton hotel (San Salvador) and ends at the Holiday Inn (Guatemala City) what did you like or dislike about the 3 hour bus ride ?????

gracias!

Sonsonate...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

Hello.

there are buses that go from El Salvador to Guatemala VIP, but only take you to the bus terminal in Guatemala then you have to board another bus and if that is going to get one that Guatemala is more expensive than what you pay decameron

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

I did it in May 2011. Excellent quality. I liked everything about it. Not much to dislike... It was probably the best bus ride I've experienced.

Here is the website

http://www.pullmantur.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

nice! hey did you sit in first class or coach?? what do they serve you to eat??

so what happens when you reach your destination do you have to go thru customs?

is the trip actually 3 hours as advertised??

gracias!

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

I paid extra for the 'Primera Clase' just to experience it. I was just curious. My friends took the less expensive option 'Clase Ejecutiva' and were very happy as well. People in 'Primera clase' looked like local business people.

I don't remember exactly what they gave me to eat, but I think it was sort of snack/sandwich more than gourmet meal. Enough, but nothing to write home about. It came with the selection of cold drinks and nice smiles.

I think the trip was longer than 3 hrs. Their website states a bit over 4 hrs: "...Travel between El Salvador and Guatemala, and vice versa has an average of 4 hours and 15 minutes..." (Google translation)

One of the attendants took our passports at the short stop at El Salvador - Guatemala border and came back a while later with stamped passports. I didn't have to leave the bus. No custom officer entered the bus (I guess they have the option).

The best part of 'Primera Clase' was the size and comfort of the seat. I traveled later from Guatemala to Oaxaca and I wish I had such a seat on longer, overnight rides.

Edited: 9:17 am, January 03, 2012
Marin County, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

Hi all! I wanted to chime in as I just did this trip and want to relay my thoughts while they were fresh in my head. Before my trip, I searched everywhere for as much info as possible about this sort of bus ride and I want to give others as many tips as possible.

We wanted to get from San Salvador to Guatemala City and our first idea was to fly. But for a 45 minute flight, the cost was around $450!! By the time you get to the airport and immigration, you are already pushing 3 hours anyways, so we decided on the bus trip ($55 RT - for first class!). We were a little nervous as we were a mixed race couple (she's from ES, I'm a chellito) and didn’t know how that would go over.

Anyway, taking this trip was one of our best decisions! There are other bus lines (Tica and King Quality), but Pulmantur is located in a VERY safe location - Sheraton - and the bus is top notch. It seemed like the other companies were in a little less "friendly part of town" even if it was around the corner from Sheraton. We stopped by the day before and purchased tickets on my credit card beforehand (remember your passport if you prepay early). Buying early ensures a good boarding pass -- we got #1 and #2.

We purchased first class seats and were treated to the first two seats on the top level (meaning we got a wonderful view of the 4 hour trip throughout the countryside. A 7:15AM Sunday trip to Guate and a 6:45AM return trip back to SS.

We were served coffee, breakfast, two DVD movies were offered, A/C, blankets, pillows, snacks, mints, etc... The attendants are dressed professionally and offer WONDERFUL service. The seats recline and are uber-comfortable as well. The bus is quiet to sleep and there is one clan bathroom at the bottom level of this bus. The 4 hour trip blew right by and we ended up at the Guate City stop at the Holiday Inn in Zona 10 -- a very safe part of town.

Our return trip was more in the back of the bus and less VIP as the first trip, only because we didn’t have the great view out the front. But at that point, we were so exhausted from the Guate experiences, that we just closed the curtains slept.

As noted above, the border crossing is a breeze. If I was doing this in my own car, I would be a little unsure of my surroundings, but you feel like you are in a tank; fully protected. About 30 minutes of processing our passports (coffee while we waited in seats) and we were off.

I whole heartedly recommend this company and this method of transportation. Get there early for a better boarding pass, i.e. better seat.

NOTE: If you buy RT tickets, MAKE SURE you hold onto your return tix. If you lose it, they can retrieve another one at the station, but it seems you are sort of a stand-by list and it COULD be hairy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

I'm going to look into this (but in the opposite direction).

One note though on timing. I've learned to generally add 50% to the estimated time you are given when scheduling buses in Latin America (if they say it's a 4 hour trip, plan on 6 hours). Knowing that, it just makes the headaches go away.

WQst

http://youtu.be/zKKl5Rn_EV8

Marin County, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

I hear you generally speaking but I took pulmantur in both directions earlier this month, and both times they were spot on. Made you feel like u were in Germany!

There is highway construction going on in Guatemala close to the border where the lane is one way. If you get stopped you'll have to wait about 20 min. We did. Even with that, our driver made up for lost time and arrived on time.

Marin County, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

Ps. Wqst. Great videos

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

About the comment about King Quality and Tica Bus terminals being in a shadier part of town: If you request getting out at San Benito suburb (also known as Zona Rosa district), it is only a couple of blocks from where Pullmantur stops (Hotel Presidente). Tica bus stops at a small hotel/hostel Mesón de María, where you can stay. King Quality stops a couple of blocks from there, and also a couple of blocks from Presidente hotel... In any case, keep an eye on your belongings (usually they give you a ticket to claim your baggage, but be careful not to let them on the sidewalk unatended)

At Puerto Bus near Centro de Gobierno there are also hostels, hotels, etc. but the place is not that nice, even though the hostels are OK.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIP bus from San Salvador to Guatemala city ????

I took this tour 4 years ago with my mom. Very flawless. I did the tour with my mom and we had a fabulous time. The ride was smooth. They took good care of us. Handled our imigration papers. Everything went very well. The hotel we stayed at was very clean, beautiful and worth the money. I'd do it again.