We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around - Safe?

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driving around - Safe?

We like to rent a car at the airport and really see a country. Is that safe in El Salvador. Are most of the roads in the GPS? (They aren't

in Costa Rica) Can we take ourselves to the beaches & such?

Special Offer
Volcano, Lake, Ruins Tour: Cerro...
12 Reviews
from $89.00*
Special Offer
Full Day Tour: Colonial Route and...
5 Reviews
from $84.60*
El Salvador  Archaeological Tour
5 Reviews
from $41.00*
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around - Safe?

Not problem the onlything you might find is the missing signs so if you dont speak spanish it would be hard but if you do you will have a great time

go ahead

advise central america

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around - Safe?

No driving is not a problem.

Watch out for cones on the road keep doors locke and windows up at stop lights, don't pull over for anyone.

if it is not complete in CR maybe not any better in ES.

Never used one in either country.

It is good to now the names of the towns along the way to your destination as signage may not show the name of where you are going but a town along the way.

The main problem is that the car rental kiosk often won't honor an online reservation. so be aware.

You have an idea of where you want to visit?

Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around - Safe?

We rented a car, found the roads were quite good, and signals abundant, if you do not speak Spanish, it should not be a problem, normally road signs are designed to be language neutral. We drove from the beach to the city, one major highway took us there. (Panamericana Highway). Driving in the city is another story, it requires nerves of steel, my husband could do it, I could not. You need to be very alert all the time, and there are lots of traffic circles, pleople weave in and out of them like there is no tomorrow. My two cents worth...

Edited: 6:12 pm, October 19, 2011
Level Contributor
180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving around - Safe?

You shouldn't have trouble driving in El Salvador, but do make sure you're a good defensive driver, especially in San Salvador. If you aren't an aggressive driver, you'll never get anywhere, in my experience.

5. Re: Driving around - Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 28, 2013
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now