We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Salvador how safe?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
San Salvador how safe?

I will be visiting San Salvador for 3 nights in October, staying at the Princess Hilton. How safe is it to hail taxis on the street to take me to various locations in the capital (the historical centre) and the modern art museum and national museum or just walking around in general. Could I venture out alone at night with a taxi to a night club or should I just stay put at my hotel? I have travelled quite a bit so I know about the obvious pre cautions...I speak very little Spanish but I have Mediterranean feautures for what it worth. The physical description is to indicate that when on the street in Latin countries I often blend in. Any advice would be appreciated. Reading newspaper reports and my embassies advisories paints a rather biased picture. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
San Salvador
San Salvador
San Salvador Department, El Salvador
1. Re: San Salvador how safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:37 pm, December 10, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Salvador how safe?

Thank you for your advice. I was anticipating a response like yours. I went to Beirut last year and it was wonderful...I do not mean to draw similarities between the two cities but both receive their fair share of press which is often negative. I will try the tour company you suggest. Could I hire a driver for the full day including waiting? That would be convenient, I am now more excited to visit your facinating country.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Salvador how safe?

I love El Salvador and go almost every year to visit family. If you plan on staying only in San Salvador, there is much to do such as visiting the Metropolitan Cathedral where Archbishop Romero is buried and the Anthropology Museum which can give you some insight on the archaeoligical ruins in the surrounding areas. But if you have time, definitely venture out of San Salvador via trusted tour operator. There are many interesting smaller communities outside of the major city.

I would also suggest asking the hotel about the local clubs and their admissions policy. When I was in San Salvador about 2 years, I tried getting into a club at one of the Centro Comerciales (I'm not quite sure which one) and they required a "membership" in order to enter the club. Just be careful in the Zona Rosa, which is a hotspot for clubs. I had a friend who was robbed there twice. Of course he did not take necessary precautions and was walking alone at around 1am. Also nowadays, many people in El Salvador speak English, especially the younger generation.

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
San Salvador
San Salvador
San Salvador Department, El Salvador
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Salvador how safe?

I first went to El Salvador in 1963 to work. I married a Salvadoreña and, thus, the country became my second home. Since the end of the civil strife of the 80s and early 90s we have visited the country each year for periods of up to six weeks.

October is a good month to visit - the weather is at its best, not too hot and unlikely to rain. You are staying in a safe part of the city but do rely on the hotel staff for advice. It is usually safe to hail a yellow taxi in that part of town.

There are tour companies who will arrange sightseeing for you.

Try the local delights such as "pupusas" - they are delicious.

The people of El Salvador are very welcoming and hospitable.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
5. Re: San Salvador how safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 11, 2012