We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savety in El Salvador

Which San Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
4 posts
Save Topic
Savety in El Salvador

Hello,

we're going to travel through Honduras, but our flight back goes from San Salvador. I've heard that El Salvador is a bit dangerous. Can anyone tell me more about it ?

Waiting for answers

Cheers Carsten

El Salvador
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Yeah, some realy evil stuff happens here.

Hire a guy with a gun if you want to look around, or just go direct to your hotel, stay inside at night and follow advice about bad areas.

Some people are lucky and have no problems, for others it can be a nightmare.

There is a nasty virus going around at the moment too, because many people here don't seem to care much about washing hands and food saftey etc.

Don't eat street food or the soft cheeses!

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Savety in El Salvador

hey I would'nt follow the advice of that mentally retarded "kangaroo guy"...it is safe and it is basically like any large urban area...hopefully you won't get into a situation, wrong place at the wrong time type thing...good luck!!!!

Hayward, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Savety in El Salvador

I agree with tiomont. I have been going almost yearly since I was 9 and I have blonde hair and green eyes. I stick out like a sore thumb. I have never had any incidents, but just follow your common sense. Its is literally a different country since I was nine-I'm 24 now. Have fun and enjoy the beautiful sites.

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Well, it is really nice to hear that somebody that is not from there has decent things to say about the country, PrincesaDiane, do you mind telling me, if it is not to nosy of my part, how come you visit every year and are you going this year?...and again bravo for your honesty and integrity...

Hayward, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Actually, I'm half Salvadorean. My mom is caucasian and my dad was an immigrant. (She had the stronger genes. =)) My dad and my step mom moved back there last year. I've been there when the war was going on and yes, I have had guns pointed at me and been pulled over for no reason, but the country has improved soooo much. Unfortunately won't be going back this year, because I just had a baby, but I can't wait to return and get a fresh huge lobster for 5 bucks. I remember seeing lots of American and European missionaries going through the Pueblo my dad grew up in all the time. Its just a great country to be in!

Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Savety in El Salvador

With the proper shots and preparation, what are the odds of actually catching any of the diseases or sicknesses that are actually going around San Salvador? I may be coming on an EBT (extended business trip) for my company and was just wondering...

Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Hi all,

I have a 9 hour layover (all daylight hours) in San salvador on my way back to the US from Panama City (thanks TACA!) Anyway, Ive reserved a rental car and plan to either go to La Libertad and drive along the coast or head east towards Zacatecoluca and then up to San Vicente.

Is either direction safer for a tourist?

Hayward, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Slim to Zero Chiz- Just take the same precautions there that you do here. Oh yeah-the fast food is good-but it tastes a little different.

Hayward, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Traveler Dave-My dad come from the city in between Zacate and San Vicente called Tecoluca-thats a cool place to stop. Just the drive alone is pretty cool-Lots of rivers and green and stuff. You'll be driving around (near) the volcano and it is gorgeous.

Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Savety in El Salvador

Okay, I'm back from my trip. I had a great time during my layover in El Salvador! Easy procedure for renting the car from National and off to La Libertad.

I met nothing but friendly people along the way and got some amazing photos. After La Libertad, I ventured up towards San Salvador, had a terrific lunch at a nice restaurant on the western side of town (safer area). I stoped at the artisan mercado for a while and then back to the airport.

Awesome day in a very interesting place.