We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

seattle
2 posts
Save Topic
going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

My husband and I are planning on travelling from San Salvador to Managua by bus. My worry is that because we are travelling thru Honduras that the political turmoil in Honduras will delay our arrival in Managua where I will have a family member waiting for us. Any possibilites that the situation in Honduras will delay our trip? border closures? shutting down of bus terminals?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

I was in El Salvador last month facing the same problems. I had to be in Nicaragua at a certain date to meet friends. The overland border was closed just the week before because of the political troubles in Honduras. So I bought an expensive air ticket rather than risk being stuck. Flying directly to Managua from El Salvador meant, of course, bypassing Honduras. Since that time, the crisis in Honduras seems to have cooled down (at least, at the moment I write this!) . But I still don't know if I would want to be bothered with the border posts there, which are notorius even in the best of times. Also, the land borders with Nicaragua are a hassle, full of beggars and those wanting bribes as you wait on lines but if you go with an international bus company (such as King Quality) it should be better.

Madrid
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

Hey..My friends just made the same exact Trip last week and Had no problems what so ever..You dont say what form of Transport youll be using but they used Local buses for most of the Trip to Tegucigalpa and Tica Bus from Tegucigalpa to Managua..They said Border Crossings took some time and had long lines but were hassle free..so I would worry too much about it..just use common sense and perhaps use TicaBus or King Quality Buses that offer direct service between this 3 countries.

Keep us posted on how it all turns out

Good Luck

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

By the way, my info about the Nicaraguan land border crossing comes from my own crossing of it previously ( twice this year) not from what I heard through the grapevine. The land borders are not nice places and they wanted a bribe just to give me the form I needed to fill out. If there is a report of a better situation, I am happy to read it. But my view has been shared on numerous blogs about it.

4. Re: going from San Salvador to Managua thru Honduras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 10, 2010