We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honduras Or El Salvador

London - The city I...
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Honduras Or El Salvador

We are planning a short break from 13 to 17th October 2005 . We have heard a lot about Al Salvador and Honduras

and we cann,t make up our mind which place to visit .

Bearing in mind we just returned from Guatemala and we were very impressed with the place .

We need help to make up our mind .

Bullings - UK

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

Since you liked Guatemala - I hope you went to Tikal - try Honduras. San Pedro Sula is easy to fly into and the Copan Ruins are only two hours away. These ruins are number two after Tikal but are much more artistic and can easily toured in 2-3 hours. Then you could spend a couple of days on the beach in Omoa or Tela.

Richard from Canada

Miami
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

The last time I was in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, was 26 years ago. I went December last year and it hasn't change that much. El Salvador and Guatemala are more up to date with modernization. If you like the nightlife there is plenty to do in "La Zona Rosa" in San Salvador. The closest beach is just 25 minutes from the city. The roads are very good. The seafood is good and cheap. El Salvador is very small. For the amount of time you are planning to visit, you can travel all around the country and probably have time to go to Honduras. I was a member of the British Club in El Salvador for a few years. Believe me, I miss it.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

Bullings -

I do not have a handle on El Salvador but can tell you that Honduras is where the Salvadorans like to vacation because it is less expensive and they prefer the Caribe beaches to the Pacific side beaches they have.

Copan is a great historical site, the La Ceiba area has nice beaches and, if you are adventurous (cloud forest hiking, white water rafting, canopy zip lines, horseback riding and the like) it is the Eco-tourism Capital of the country and 25 minutes by air from San Pedro Sula.

For beauthiful beaches and unsurpassed scuba diving and snorkeling you will not beat Roatan which is 10 minutes by air from La Ceiba.

Whichever you decide have fun and put the other destination on your list for next year.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

El Salvador is small and major sites such as beaches and mayan ruins, cerro verde national park can be enjoyed in 2-3 days, tehn there is the ultra modern hedman alas buses that will take you direct to copan ruins from san salvador and from copan to san pedro sula, la cieba and tegucigalpa on one ticket if you wish, the best of both worlds. Honduras and el Salvador culturally are very different, honduras has 5 times teh land area of el Salvador with fewer people, so Hondurans are typically more laid back than the ever hard working El Salvadorians and Honduras does not have the infrastructure of Guatemala or El Salvador except in Copan Ruins Town, Roatan and Bay Islands and the large cities, avoid San Pedro Sula more dangerous at night than Guatemala City or San salvador. Big Gang Problem in Honduras also.

London - The city I...
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

Thank you for all the contributions that you have made . We have just returned from El Salvador a forgotton beauty . We went to the beach area, visited the lakes , volcanos and the mayan ruins . We also had time to frequent the Zona Rosa district for good food and night life . We stayed at the

Intercontinental Hotel at USD 85.00 Including Tax & buffet breakfast. We highly

recommend the hotel if you can get a good rate as it very nice and secure.

The weather was almost perfect and the people are very nice and helpful.

El Salvador has its problems too .Crime remain a major issue with most places employ security guards with their finger on the trigger .

Our next trip going to be in Mid December

and we are investigating whether to visit

Honduras or Nicaragua .Any contributions

would be most helpful.

Best Regards

Bullings

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

In Mid December our non profit organization based in Nicaragua is offering budget volunteer vacations, one week, all over teh Pacific rim of Nicaragua. and commencing to construct our Eco Lodge..all profits above and beyond expenses go to those in need. Native Nicaraguan friends, not subcontractors, provide all lodging, meals, transportation etc. Contact me for more information.

PS You will find armed guards in every Latin American country, they are there to protect you, say hello and make friends, guards are not hired to molest travelers rather to protect.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

"El Salvador has its problems too .Crime remain a major issue with most places employ security guards with their finger on the trigger . "

Go to Costa Rica, often billed as a 'crime free paradise' there are guards, armed, almost everywhere, and in the tourist areas petty theft is endemic, parts of San Jose, teh capital, are very dangerous, so if you think it is only 'El Salvador' make your next vacation Detroit or St. Louis or downtown L.A. where you will be 'safe'.

This just gets annoying.

London - The city I...
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

To Tropicalguide:

We have experienced no problems in El Salvador and the security is satisfactory . We have visited almost all

South America , Central America( Costa Rica Twice for your benefit), and the Carribbean too. We can say is El Salvador

is far safer than the vast majority of places we have visited and we are planning to visit the place again in the future.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honduras Or El Salvador

Great. Common sense.