My wife and I are planning a trip to ES and GUA the end of Feb. 2014. I would like to rent a car at the airport in ES (SAL) and then drive it to our hotel for a few days (as of now Royal Decameron, but could change) and after a few days there, cross the border and then into Guatemala City, Antigua, Chit...., etc.
Can anyone helpful please let me know about these few things:
* What is needed to take a rental car from ES to GUA?
* Is it safe to do so? We would have ES plates I imagine when in GUA
* What is required at the border for the rental car? Will we be hassled at border (we are US citizens)
* Are both countries "safe" to have a rental car and to drive as tourists?
* What is the best place to reserve a car to do this trip? I would love to know of any "local" companies that could accomodate this, that may be better than the "regular" big USA companies.
Any help would be appreicated, truly it would. I thank you for your time,