We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

UT
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to ES and GUA the end of Feb. 2014. I would like to rent a car at the airport in ES (SAL) and then drive it to our hotel for a few days (as of now Royal Decameron, but could change) and after a few days there, cross the border and then into Guatemala City, Antigua, Chit...., etc.

Can anyone helpful please let me know about these few things:

* What is needed to take a rental car from ES to GUA?

* Is it safe to do so? We would have ES plates I imagine when in GUA

* What is required at the border for the rental car? Will we be hassled at border (we are US citizens)

* Are both countries "safe" to have a rental car and to drive as tourists?

* What is the best place to reserve a car to do this trip? I would love to know of any "local" companies that could accomodate this, that may be better than the "regular" big USA companies.

Any help would be appreicated, truly it would. I thank you for your time,

Rhett

Maya Triangle Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Salvadorean Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Nahuat Tours
Sightseeing Tours
GringoTours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Eco Tours
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

I'm thinking of doing a similar trip, so it would be nice to see a response to your post.i did call Alamo rent a car, they said crossing the border with a rental is fine. You need to give them a few days notice for preparing documents for you and there is a feee.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

Same question was asked recently. I know in Costa Rica you cannot take a rental car out of the country. Your best place to get accurate advise is from the rental country. I think the concern in this situation is how would a rental company get their car back from another country if you decide not to return it.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

Should read rental company

4. Re: Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:02 am, December 05, 2014
5. Re: Driving a rental car from ES (SAL) into Guatemala? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 17, 2015