We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

orlanfo
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

Made a reservation. Was quoted one price on line when I went to the counter at the EL SALVADOR airport the price was twice as much because of mandatory insurance et. Although this is totally misleading I have grown used to this when travelling to Latin American countries so I just accept it now. However after spending about an hour renting the car doing paperwork et and getting annoyed at the inefficiency of the lady behind the counter I was finally given the keys. I put my bags in the trunk started the car before I could shift into Drive Out comes running the lady who rented the car to me (Myra) she states her boss just called and there is an extra $30 fee for returning it to a different location. At this point I had enough. I told her cancel the contract I will just take a taxi. This was the most unprofessional service. I went back inside demanded she rip up my credit card voucher which she very reluctantly did after me begging for 5 minutes. I then asked her to issue the credit to my credit card right away. She said she did it but could not issue me a receipt. I found this fishy but after now 90-120 minutes there and after 6 hours on a plane I flagged a taxi and left. Well of course now I come home and not only is the $120 rental posted to my credit card but so has the $500 deposit. I am furious. This place just flat out lies and steals. STAY AWAY. I expect all rent a car agencies in 3rd world countries to be bad but to flat out lie and steal is terrible.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

Car rental rip offs come a close second to time share rip offs in dollars stolen. I have been traveling in Latin America.. from Mexico to Chile since the '70s. I have yet to find a reason to rent a car. For most of that time buses went everywhere I wanted to go or in a couple countries, military vehicles. If I needed a private car I'd find a taxi driver or just someone with a car to hire for the day. On one trip I was showing some friends some ruins in the Yucatan. We hired a taxi driver to take us around, bought him better meals than he could normally afford for himself, tipped him well above the agreed upon price and stopped to get a monster bag of fruit for his family. All well below what a car rental would have cost. He knew the best locals restaurants. Best of all, the money was all going to him... not some corporation and some ditzy clerk.

orlanfo
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

I agree and I always take taxi's or hire them by the day. However for this trip we were going somewhere there really wasnt going to be acess to taxis and travelling about 200 miles to do it. It just was easier and more economical to rent a car. In addition the one country I have never had a problem is El Salvador. However I suppose they have caught up to the other countries and realize this rent a car scam is profitable. The thing that gets people is signing a blank voucher. If they dont give it back to you at the end of the rental they can put any amount on there and it has your signature so you are screwed. Anyway, I Knew the scam, I Knew the risks I am a seasoned traveler with probably 25 trips to Central America a year and I still am getting burnt. In addition it is truly amazing that large companies like ALAMO, HERTZ , BUGET allow this to go on.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

Same thing happen to me last year. STAY away from Alamo. I am going back in a few weeks, will ask for any other rental car company recommendation.

Edited: 10:13 pm, August 12, 2010
orlanfo
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

Unfortunately almost all Rent A Car companies in Latin America are the same. I had good luck with Budget 2 times but then 1 time got charged for Insurance that wasnt disclosed. It is almost impossible to not get scammed in one way or another. I guess you just try to pick the company who will scam you as little as possible.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

I travel to El Salvador at least twice a year. I usually rent a car from USA Rent a Car. I pay cash and I get 10% discount from regular rental fee, the rental includes insurance and taxes, no hidden fees. I highly recommend this agency, they don't have an office at the airport, the office is in San Salvador but they bring the car to the airport if you request it. Hope this is helpful.

6. Re: Alamo Rent a Car Airport TOTAL RIP OFF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2011