We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

central america
4 posts
Save Topic
King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

I want to travel from El Salvador to Costa Rica on the King Quality bus, could somebody please tell me how long it takes, whether its safe (ie border crossings etc) and if it is a hairy journey, I am a bad passenger and am trying to work out if flying would be better for a nervous passenger like myself.

Thanks so much.

Julia

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

I haven't gone with King Quality to Costa Rica, but have travelled plenty of times with them to Guatemala and Honduras. This is a reputable company with comfy air-conditioned buses with rest-rooms, movies and a stewardess that distributes snaks and fruit juice. They usually take care of the paper-work on borders. In theory, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua (also Guatemala) are part of the CA-4 Countries, where you have free passage between them for a total of 90 days - although if you have to leave the bus and go to the border office might depend on the whims of the inmigration authorities.

On King Quality's Web Site: http://www.kingqualityca.com

It says that they leave at 3:30 AM from Puerto Bus in San Salvador and arrive at 10:00 PM in Costa Rica.

Have a nice trip!

central america
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

Are the roads bad along the way, I am a very bad passenger. Is it mountain roads etc ?

Thanks for your reply, Julia

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

Can't tell you about Nicaragua and Costa Rica roads, as I haven't travelled there through these means.

The El Salvador and Honduras part should be no problem, with good roads and fairly flat landscape - it is only hilly at some points of the way in El Salvador, but then goes flatter when arriving to San Miguel. You can see some photos of the way to Honduras here: guanacosonline.org/images/Honduras20030503/2… This trip in the photos I did on the Coastal highway, but the bus may take the Panamerican higway instead. But from San Miguel onwards it should be the same road.

If you get a bit queasy about what you see out of the window, you can shut out the drapes of the window and look at the movie or read a book. I myself go to sleep and hardly notice what is happening outside.

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

I just called King Quality to ask about the Nicaragua - Costa Rica part and they told me the streets are good. Also, you don't have to leave the bus at any border. They do the paperwork for you. Obviously, Costa Rica is not part of the CA-4 countries (Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua), so you have to bring your passport. (On the other countries there is free passage - nationals need only show their country IDs)

5. Re: King Quality bus to Costa Rica- the low down ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, September 28, 2009