We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in El Salvador?

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Honeymoon in El Salvador?

Hello all,

I am looking to the experts on this forum for some friendly advice.

I am planning on getting married here in Canada on Dec. 6th and am trying to find a good spot to honeymoon for 2 weeks. I have already been to Cuba, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Mexico but am still looking to go down south.

I am looking for a place on the beach, gold sand or white, and that is all-inclusive. I am purposly avoiding Jamaica (safety concerns) and most of the Carribean (money concerns). My search has turned up San Andres, Margarita Island and El Salvador, with El Salvador leading the running becasue of very postive counrty and resort reviews.

I guess my questions is this: Is El Salvador and the Decameron a good place to honeymoon? Are there enough day trips to keep us busy for two weeks? Neither my bride or myself are in the best of shape but we really enjoy seeing the countryside and local culture. The hotel is only rated a 4 star, could we still be pampered there? Will El Salvador provide those special memories that a honeymoon should?

Thank you to all those that respond, I can't wait to hear your advice.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

Forget the Pacific if you want golden sand. It's dark. El salvador's beach is not for beach lovers. The tide is out very often. It's never the same because it follows the moon cylce. Last week the tide left and didn't really come back for 3-4 days, but the moon was full. The pools are really great.

As for pampering they offer bech massages and at good prices. I can get you those prices. They are somewhere still in our suitcase.

There are lots of excursions. Check out my previous post titled: Royal Decameron tours. You can also arrange to sleep at another hotel for a night. This is what we did. There is the Los Alemendros hotel in Suchitoto (2 hours away from Decameron) where they have an amazing place. I have tons of photos, inlcuding every of the 6 rooms. It's a 200 year old hacienda, transformed into a paradise. The gardens are wonderful. The owner is French and has a french Cordon Bleu chef. The food is amazing. They picked us up at Decameron and drove us back. They do have a website. I just need some time to write my review and post photos.

Visiting El Salvador is one of my favorite trips.

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

The tide is on about a 6 hr cycle.

The beach is OK

Best beach on the Pacfic side would be Contrade Island, but it is not offered anymore.

There was a number of honeymoons there.

It is 4 stars for El Salvador, it is good value for the money

If you want to be pampered you have spend alot more money then this place.

I would stay away from Margartia Island

Try the royalhideawayensenachos.com for cheap pampering

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
426 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

I def would not recommend this resort for romance. While it is a nice resort, there just is not that much to do there. We were happy to leave after a week. We would have been so bored if we had stayed an additional week.

The beach was not nice. I don't think we swam in the ocean once at the resort, only at their private club off resort. The beach has dark sand and the tide was out a lot of the time.

The resort did have some awesome massages and body treatments in ocean front huts for AMAZING prices.

Hopefully this helps you make your decision.

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
4. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

Thanks to everyone who responded, it is appreciated. I am even more confused than before but I am sure I will settle on a great place. Thanks again!

south dakota
1 post
5. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

i would say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a very beautiful place to go. you can stay in Intercontinental Real Resorts. that is a very good place to stay you can ask for the morning buffet that is inside of the hotel and you will just love it.also close to there there is a mall that you can go to. also alot of restaurants that are very good.El Socalo is a mexican restaurant in which they have very good food. also in EL Puert de la Liberta (which is close to the beach) there are a lot of seafood places. but there is one called La Dolce Vita which is extremely deliciouus they make this lobesters topped with shrimp and this delicious souce. it is very cheap because for two of this lobsters and a side of tortillas and salad is 17 dollars. also there is another mall which is called La Gran Via it is a very big mall and it is very nice inside. there are alot of fine resturants there that are delicious. so yes you should go i hope you take my advice.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

You're a year late. They went to Cuba instead.

7. Re: Honeymoon in El Salvador?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 19, 2009