We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salhouse, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

I know this will not affect most travellers but I was arrested outside terminal B close to the road for smoking I must admit there are signs that say no smoking, but I thought they referred to inside the building not outside.

My Russian language is very bad and the police offices did not speak English after 30 minutes of writing my passport details down and being ordered to go to a cash machine I called my girlfriend

and she explained to the offices I did not know the law and that I am a silly Englishman and was released.

Two weeks later to terminal D and another foreigner was being arrested for not smoking in the correct area>>>>, SO BE WARNED >>>>

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

Oh please! Arrested?? This is NOT the arrest the way you describe it.

And the fact that you are not aware of law has never been an excuse for violating it, in any country, your own including.

Thanks for the warning, but I wish it was worded more carefully.

PS Smoking is not a crime, and one can not be arrested for it. Violation of smoking ban is subject to a fine only.

Edited: 3:56 am, April 26, 2014
Salhouse, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

I have read again my description of events and I think they are quite accurate

The demands for money..... a fine I can only guess...... were boarding on intimidating

I know there is no excuse for ignorance of the law, My post is to warn travellers of the consequences

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

Again, your warning is appreciated. As is particularly appreciated that you admitted there were signs banning smoking (many people, willing to only complain, would have missed that detail).

But "arrested" and "fined" is not the same. That was my point.

Edited: 4:32 am, April 26, 2014
Salhouse, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

Maybe :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

The "being ordered to to go to a cash machine" part still bothers me. This implies a bribe rather than a fine.

Salhouse, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

I was ordered to go to a cash machine my details were written down on a scrap of paper the police offices were angry that I could not speak Russian or Ukrainian fluently.

I think I should of payed 270 Hryvna,s but I may of misunderstand My Russian is very basic

I have not clue as to what they were going to do with the money

In my country if a police officer recorded someones personnel information and ordered they should pay a fine they would have official documents stating what the fine amount was and you would be given a receipt

None of which were offered.

I did not mention or imply bribe but make of it what you will.

7. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:06 am, April 28, 2015
Odessa, Ukraine
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

They will take you seperate and fill in the form, go to small kind of bank in airport to pay. I know there is agent that speaks good English and always very helpfull. Normally they call form him if asked.

Fine is 170 uah first time.

Also places where you are allowed to smoke have signs and marked how many meter to go.

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

By the way, inside airport in waiting halls there is smoking rooms? Thank you for the answer. :)

10. Re: Smoking outside Boryspil airport any terminal don't do it !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 19, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Kiev