We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide book recommendations

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,605 reviews
Save Topic
Guide book recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good English guidebook for my upcoming trip to Kiev?

I normally purchase the DK books, either the full guide or the top 10 books, which I love. However they don't do one for Kiev or even Ukraine, so could do with some suggestions. Thanks!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Guide book recommendations

Well, it's funny really - I am the travel planning queen in most respects, mainly because I enjoy stringing my holiday out for 12 months prior to actually going away, but also because I like to have a good handle on what might interest us when we're in any given place.

That said, we happily throw any pre-conceived "itinerary" ideas out the window if we arrive somewhere and the mood takes us to do that. >>I did find ‘winging’ some of my time easy and enjoyable and it worked… I got to see what I wanted and had planned for, but also things I didn’t even know about…<< - couldn't agree more! It's pretty much how we travel, too.

:)

On a more prosaic level, though, I like to be prepared in terms of knowing which buses to catch, where to buy transport tickets etc etc - we find that knowing this sort of stuff beforehand makes our trips so much easier and less stressful. That's where guidebooks can be useful; extensive internet research more so. (The lack of detailed public transport info for Crimea has been driving me crazy! That definitely will be a case of "asking around when we arrive" and "going with the flow".)

We're really looking forward to the Ukrainian leg of our trip. A few sights are planned, but there's a lot of wandering around aimlessly factored in as well. We're already thinking of a return trip and we haven't even been there yet!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Guide book recommendations

I’m afraid this is now moving a little bit away from my original idea.

I never said that when it comes to Ukraine planning is bad or useless! Quite the opposite, the more thorough the prior research was, the better! The better pre-arrival idea travellers obtain of what to expect here, the easier facing the reality will be for them. This is why I’m trying to post such detailed answers here. It’s just that a substantial part of this pre-arrival idea should be that in Ukraine anything is possible :)

P.S. halwimsey, I’ve been driving past the Toilette History museum the other day and thought of you ;) Don’t get me wrong! hehe

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Guide book recommendations

Good guide books are by Vakler or Baltia pub houses Ukraine-based

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Guide book recommendations

Thanks goukraineexpatinfo! Already have them listed, too.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Guide book recommendations

Oh Cora, how kind of you to think of me...

:D

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Guide book recommendations

I was happy to see the museum is still there so far :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
975 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Guide book recommendations

Hi

…lonelyplanet.com/europe/…

Ukraine section can be found here.

DCtheKiwi

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Guide book recommendations

Is section any better than the fully-fledged Ukraine guide by LP?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Guide book recommendations

Hi Cora,

Eventually, I'm back.

Have you read Bradt Travel Guide? I thought I'd laugh my head off.

I wonder where Andrew Evans, an author, had heard this:

"Lesya Ukrayinka, who's pen name means 'Ukrainian forest'..."

or about New Year

"Dyed Moroz... is accompanied by his helper, princess Snigorichka (Little Snowflake)".

And - this is not really funny:

"The Ukrainian folk song are normally about love, vodka, or love and vodka (and sometimes a salo, pig fat)".

Cora, do you know any traditional song about "love and vodka"? I don't. And about salo???

Actually, there are so many silly things there... Transliteration is fab, too.

To be honest, there are also many helpful tips mentioned for foreigners who wish to understand Ukraine better.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Guide book recommendations

Hey marynuk!

Welcome back! You've been missed ;)

I have this title, but to be honest never got down to reading it properly. So thanks a lot for the laugh - from now on I'll refer to it in my grim days :)

Edited: 12:47 pm, March 12, 2013