We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kiev with children

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Kiev with children

Hi

We are thinking about travelling to Kiev with another family and between us, there will be 3 toddlers - aged 2,3 & 4 - I wanted to know if there was any particular advice or things we should know because we plan our trip?

We are looking to go over Easter 2013 - so arrive on 29th Mar for a few days.

Thanks in advance

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Kiev with children

Hi Jaime W,

What do you mean about particular advice?Safety? Or what interesting you could do with small kids in Kyiv?

Oksana@ActiveUkraine

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Kiev with children

I've been in Kyiv with a 13 year old, and there was no problem anywhere. My wife and I consider Kyiv very family friendly. Smaller children seemed to have the run of the place.

BTW, Orthodox Easter in Ukraine is on May 5 in 2013 (Julian calendar).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Kiev with children

Hi Oksana,

Things like is the metro system pushchair friendly? Do restaurants have high chairs? Are nappy changing facilities common?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Kiev with children

I would say no to all of the above. We had a two-year-old with us and getting around was not simple. I believe that the downtown metro stations do not have elevators for pushchairs/strollers. Some of the escalators are quite long.

Also, many major streets in downtown Kyiv have passages under the roads for pedestrians. The stairs have ramps for wheelchairs but the ramps are too wide for pushchairs. If you intend to walk around, you should be prepared to unload the pushchair every so often for stairs/escalators.

I think that McDonald's had highchairs but I don't remember them anywhere else. I also don't remember changing facilities in the toilets. However, if you're ready to improvise, you'll do fine!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Kiev with children

Thank you, that's handy to know!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Kiev with children

From my observations the restaurants I ate in seemed to deal with younger children pretty well, much like you'd expect in most westernised countries...

I think the Metro 'could' be an issue, as stated by msambors, many of the escalators are rather lengthy. Under passes do have ramps but cant tell you if they are suitable for a pusher, but you say there will be two families, so maybe the two father may have to do some lifting and helping out here there :))

Saying this, I saw many family out and about with younger children, and they didn't seem to be to having to many issues.... :)

Good luck...

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Kiev with children

Thank you

8. Re: Going to Kiev with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, September 24, 2012
9. Re: Going to Kiev with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kiev