We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kiev

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Kiev

Visiting Kiev solo from Aug 10 to 14 ... I would like to enjoy the evening but not sure how to find other like minded folk to grab a beer or explore a couple of bars with. Do people recommend staying at a hostel (and if so which ones have a more of a social atmosphere)? Budget it not an issue so just as happy to stay at a hotel. My colleagues think i am crazy to even consider a hostel. Any information/comments would be great.

Cheers

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Kiev

HI Jason,

Nice to meet you :) Your post sounded quite interesting, so I decided to give you some insight on the life in Kiev.

This place is very European and in the centre you can find a lot of bars, restaurants and different sights. There are even those visited mostly by foreigners and everybody feels safe here. When this city hosted Euro, there were a lot of tourists from all over the world, even from Malaysia and they all remarked high hospitality level of Ukrainian cities and especially Kiev. It was like a discovery of the new interesting world for them and I believe it will be the same for you.

As for accomodation, prices for hotels in Kiev are generally high, so staying in a hostel is a good option. As far as I know, there are hostels right in the city centre with good connections. You can even rent an apartment and you will feel at home here)) So I wish you nice stay in Kiev.

If you would like to learn more about local acoomodation, bars and sightseeing, feel free to message me.

Best regards,

Yuriy

Edited: 4:46 pm, August 01, 2012
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Kiev

Hi Jason and welcome to Kyiv forum :)

You are quite right suggesting that a hostel can be a better place to socialize than a hotel, but you should also realize that in a hostel you will be deprived of comforts and services of a hotel. So all in all, it depends on your preferences.

As a local, I can’t comment on the atmosphere of Kyiv hostels, so I’d recommend you to read reviews available on TA and feedback left by other members on the forum, to get a better idea on what to expect. You might even care to send these travellers a PM to ask more about their experience.

You will find some reviews here: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294474-c3-Kiev-Hotel…

And here are the search results for some earlier threads: http://tinyurl.com/7a8tcp9

However, I’m not sure I would recommend a hostel for the sole reason of finding someone to pub-crawl with.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Kiev

Hi Jason,

I understand this might be way too late to advice you the hostel, but I've heard good comments of this one, newly opened

dream-family.com/en/dream-house-photos/

Kyiv
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Kiev

My advice is:

Hotel better than hostel

Kyiv isnt exactly 5 star experience & even 5 star hotel fades to say German 3 star in comparison.

Get a hotel and socialize when you go out to say Buddha Bar, Arena, Avalon, or simply walking the main square and Khrescahtyk street.

Good luck in Kyiv!

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Kiev

You can stay any youth hostel - friendly atmosphere will be there, especially if you suggest someone to drink a bottle of beer

6. Re: Visiting Kiev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kiev