We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
West Midlands,
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Euro's

I would like to thank the local contributors fo the insight and knowledge of the country they have provided especially concerning The Euro's. This particularly applies to Cora.

We are flying into Kiev from Krakow on the morning of England-Sweden game. We intend to do some sightseeing,drink into the early hours and then go to the airport before flying back to Krakow that morning.

The only worry is police may prevent access to the airport or it is closed in the early hours? The train station would be an alternative.We don't think it's worth booking accommodation!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro's

Hi LargeWestMidlands,

Many thanks for your thoughtful words! A simple “thank you” is always so encouraging :)

Will that be Boryspil airport you are flying from? http://kbp.aero

In any case, the police is not expected to prevent access to the airport to the passengers, and the airport is certainly not closed in early hours (there are some flights to/from Boryspil arriving/departing as early as at 1-2am or 4-5am). There are some cafes and restaurants there that are open 24h http://kbp.aero/en/passenger-services/cafes/

In Kyiv, there will be some limitations on the cars’ movement in the so-called transport perimeter around the Olimpiyski stadium and the fan-zone; also, some central metro stations will be closed and some streets in the city centre will be closed for the march of the Sweden fans on the days of their games: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k529… and http://tinyurl.com/d9uhxuj

But other than that there were no restrictions announced.

Bristol
Level Contributor
273 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro's

I will second LWM ... you have been very helpful Cora :)

Thank you

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro's

Cheers and thank you, too ;)

Goes without saying I encourage everyone to feel free to contact me if in need of any help or info while already in Ukraine - either through this forum, or via PM.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro's

In view of ample self-promoting posts on this forum I feel like clarifying that the above is NOT a commercial offer of any kind.

Edited: 1:31 pm, May 30, 2012
West Midlands,
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro's

Thanks again Cora for your response. Our plan sounds fine. We are flying in from Katowice not Krakow to Zhulany Airport.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro's

Ah, it's even easier then. Zhulyany airport is actually in the city, so it won't take you too long to get there.

But there's no need to go there too early - the new Terminal in Zhulyany has been opened just recently, it's not too large and its infrastructure is not well developed yet. So you could spend time in a restaurant, a bar or a nightclub in downtown (Kyiv goes to bed very late; or rather very early ;) prior to heading to the airport.

It's just that it probably makes sense to be careful wearing the national colours after the game if you hang out in the city. We Kyivans, are largely quite a friendly lot in everyday life, but we expect many fans of different nationalities to arrive, and you never know how and where the football passions might heat..

Edited: 5:48 pm, May 30, 2012
West Midlands,
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro's

We don't tend to wear football colours as I dont like them but people will know we're English as we're so good looking! We expect to have a good time with everyone and hopefully can handle things!

There is a lot of bad publicity in England at the moment about trouble with racist locals in Poland and Ukraine .Regular travellers are somewhat cynical about this and problems with football in this repect continue in UK though apparently on a much lower level.

The media in England tend to totally sensationalize potential problems before all major football tournaments and have in recent years been proved wrong.The same Nazi threat was predicted in 2006 in Germany but the hospitality was fantastic! I believe the same will be true in Poland and Ukraine!

Bring it on-Rock 'n Roll!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro's

It's absolutely the same here in Ukraine, I assure you!

Local media is in hysterics about crowds of football hooligans, provocateurs and criminals that Ukraine is in for in a week. Parents are recommended to keep their kids out of town, as there will be lots of sex tourists, too, including pedophiles. And you tell us about BBC!

Luckily, many of us here are sort of resistant to words – be that by media, politicians or officials of any kind, and just ignore them. We’ve been manipulated for so long that don’t have much trust in anyone these days... but ourselves :)

Stourbridge, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro's

I am Large WestMidlands son, Luke and yet again Cora I would like to agree upon my fathers gratitude for your excellent advice and insight into the Ukraine. I came across to the Ukraine on my own after a family holiday Skiing in Poland and enjoyed every minute of it. To be frank I spent 3 days in Lviv and only a short time in Kiev but it was great. We cant wait for the Euros and the party that will hopefully captivate not only the nation but the World and give everyone a reason to be happy in pretty depressing economic times.

We would be more than happy to buy you a drink of your choice while we are in Kiev should you want it, although this is NOT a commercial offer of any kind!

:)

Peace.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro's

Hi Luke :)

Thanks; made me smile :) Hope you're not the one in red on your avatar - drinking age limit is not THAT relaxed in Ukraine ;)

Next time give a try to skiing in the Carpathians - our Bukovel is a cut above Zakopane (and many other) http://bukovel.com/en and there are others nice skiing resorts in Ukraine Carpathians.

Edited: 6:58 am, June 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Kiev