We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Parking near Pechersk Lavra

I hope to visit this place while in Kiev. We will have a rented car. On Google Street View, I see that people park on Lavrska Street but I do not see any signs stating if this is permissible or not. Does anyone know if it is OK to park there without getting a ticket or being towed away?

Jerry

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

There is parking Parking area on Lavrska str. at the main entrance to Lavra (Trinity church). And one more parking area clother to Mother-Motherland on Lavrska str. I don't rememeber if you need to pay there (the price is not high), but usually its rather difficult to find free place. If you don't find place turn to Tsetadelna str. few meters it will be free of charge)))

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. We will be there this Sunday and the weather reports say it should be a beautiful day. It might be crowded because of that.

Jerry

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
342 reviews
3. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Hi Jerry :)

Ah, you'll be surprised to see how people park in Kyiv! Anyways, there are no parking tickets here (yet?) in the way they are applied in Europe, and the rules of paid parking (and blocking/towing the cars off) permanently change here.

To put it simple, when there's no "organised parking lot", if you violate the road rules with your parking and the road police officer happens to notice this (doesn't happen often, and they have their fave places for hunting), you'll be fined on spot. If there are "organised parking lots", you merely pay to the parking attendant (and I won't overload you with the details on our, Kyivans, fights with them...). Parking meters were supposed to be established, but the authorities have admitted they failed to do it in due course, so these are still rare. So most of the time our rule of thumb is parking is allowed everywhere where it's not forbidden.

Anyway, back to your question about Lavrska Street, indeed, people just leave their cars along the street or on the sideways, where it's allowed by the rules. So just follow the suit. The entire Lavrska street is normally very busy with cars (Slavy Park is a popular place for the newly weds), so if you happen to see a spare place on your way to Lavra, better get it and walk.

The tiny parking in front of the entrance to Lavra is always full, so don't count on it. Also, you can not park on the very narrow Tsitadel'na street mentioned by above poster. (a) It's a one-lane street in each direction and there's no place to park except on the sidewalk http://tinyurl.com/c7o3vj6 and (b) I might be wrong, but I'd expect prohibitive signs for parking there, at least near Lavra.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
342 reviews
4. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Just to clarify, my above "at least near Lavra" comment referred to Tsitadel'na street, not to Lavrska.

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
5. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Thank you for your more detailed response, Cora. I did see a small parking area a short distance down the hill at the corner of Dniprovskyi Descent and Heroit Krut Alley. We may try that first. OR, if we can get good instructions at our hotel, we might take the Metro to the Arsenalna Station and walk from there.

Jerry

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
342 reviews
6. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Ok idea, if you don't mind to walk through the Slavy Park all the way to Lavra.

Just remember that if you then need to get back to downtown (i.e. European Sq. or Khreshchatyk), there's no left turn to Parkova Lane from Andrew Pervozvanny Sq. http://tinyurl.com/d4nte4f And there’s always a road police officer ;)

But honestly, you can merely leave early enough (most people seem to gather there by about midday) and I’m sure you’ll be able to park along Lavrska or in front of Mysterski Arsenal.

Edited: 6:10 am, April 27, 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Dear Cora!

You are right about prohibitive sign on Tsitadelna))).

I just know that we are parking behind Arsenal with my friends because this street is always free.

Edited: 3:01 pm, April 28, 2012
Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
8. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. We went there late this afternoon, had not trouble with parking on the street, and enjoyed walking through the grounds, taking lots of pictures.

Jerry

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
342 reviews
9. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

Cheers, Jerry :)

Nice to know you were all right with the street parking like most of us, Kyivans ;)

Any chance for us to see your pictures, please?

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
10. Re: Parking near Pechersk Lavra

I took many more but a few can be viewed publicly at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/… including our travels to villages around Rivne.