We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fitness center-gym

na2
Dallas
7 posts
Save Topic
fitness center-gym

Hi all,

I will be working in Kyiv for 4 weeks in September. I know Kyiv is a big modern city and probably has many Western-style gyms & health clubs. I'm mostly interested in cardio-aerobic and light weight training. Are there any facilities that don't require any long-term contracts or memberships ( ie- daily rates?)

Na2

EveryDay Fitness
Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms, Spas, Yoga & Pilates
Thai Massage Studio Sabai Dee
Spas, Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms
Tsarsky City Resort
Spas, Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms, Lessons & Workshops, Yoga & Pilates
Bio Ritm Fitness Club
Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fitness center-gym

Hi Na!

Sure, you can pay for one-time workout in many “western-style” fitness centers in Kyiv. All of them have cardio areas and weight-lifting areas and normally your entrance fee covers both.

But, if you ask me (I’m working out for over 9 years) I don’t think Kyiv has a huge choice of fitness centers, especially those balanced in terms of pricing and services. Be prepared that prices here in Kyiv are times higher than in the US. One entry to the cheapest centre-located gym starts from UAH70 (caUSD10).

At the same time, there are very few gyms today in Kyiv worthy long ride to get there and that’s definitely not for a regular work-out (they are more like health clubs for non-working women, offering high-class full service package – pool, massage, spa, etc). So if you need just a simple regular workout to keep a good shape I believe it’s enough to find smth more or less decent closer to your place. Let know if you need any assistance with this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fitness center-gym

Your best bet is to try the gym at the Radisson I'd say. It's reasonably (!) priced and will let you in on a day to day basis. The Hyatt also has a gym and pool but they like to charge stupid rates to use it.

The gym of choice for a lot of the expat community is Planet Fitness which is close to the Arena centre (you'll come across this). Not sure however they'll do short term rates but might be worth asking for a month's membership...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fitness center-gym

PiecesOf8, absolutely agree with you on Hyatt! Same is about Sofiyskiy fitness center located close to it – prices are exorbitant, but the places are more “status”-like, nothing that you would ever think of when in need of real work out. Quite possible they put these rates to keep occasional visitors away – lots of well-known locals have been mentioned among their attendees, ironically in connection with some accidents and scandals.

In general, I would hardly call hotel fitness centers a top choice in Kyiv (as in many other cities) – usually there are not so many guests willing to use them, so mostly hotels keep fitness centers to support their grade, without paying much particular attention to purchasing huge variety of simulators, free weights etc. Also, rarely they give enough room to the facilities.

That’s why can’t quite agree that RadSass is the best bet – I found their fitness center nice and trim and comfy, but too small and more suitable for aerobics and cardio with only a few gym facilities.

But right you are, they do allow one time entry (at a price of UAH 190, or USD 23 at today’s cash market ex-rate) and it’s not limited to the hotel guests only.

Planet Fitness is indeed quite western-like and their services and facilities as well as the choice of equipment are very good. Haven’t been to their center on Kropyvnitskogo Str, but used to attend the one on Shchorsa Str (in Pechersk district). The only problem, apart from relatively high price, was the limited space in the gym for that really great selection of simulators and other facilities they tried to squeeze in. In rush hours in was hard to breath and shift and there were lines to most popular weights and equipment.

As for one-time entries, they allow it only if you’re accompanied by a club member and it costs UAH 350 on week-end and UAH 210 (up to 5hrs of stay)/UAH 280 (whole day stay) on working days. Have to say here that Planet Fitness regularly holds various promo offers.

And I agree that in case of four weeks regular attendance 1 month membership can be a good buy.

4. Re: fitness center-gym

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2010