We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

I am planning to take train from Kiev to Simferopol and I got a few questions:

1. Since I want more privacy, is it better to buy all 4 berths in a room of second class carriage or buy 2 berths in a room of first class carriage? Will there significant difference in the facilities/services of second class and first class? (like will there be a private wash-bowl in a first class room, a more comfortable bed, free tea or coffee, etc)

2. I heard there is locker service at Kiev train station. Since I will take overnight train and I want to leave my luggage at the train station during day time. Is it safe to keep my luggage there? If not, is there an alternative to keep my luggage for the day?

3. Usually how long before the departure time can I board the train?

4. When I board the train, will there be attendants to check tickets and keep everything in order? I am afraid some people without tickets will board the train and take your place.

Thanks!

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Hi Ken,

Nice to see you back to the forum :)

(1)

In terms of privacy, there is not much difference between buying two tickets in SV or four tickets in kupe; the result will be the same – a whole cabin to yourself. So better decide on the basis of your budget.

Some trains have a private TV set and wash-bowl in SV, the others don’t. I can’t tell what the case with Kyiv-Simferopol train is; haven’t taken it for ages. Perhaps someone else would advise.

SV compartment will offer more space as there will be no berths above your head. Tea and coffee will be anyway paid for. There will obviously be less people in the 1st class carriage, so less lines to the WC “in rush hours”.

But it’s always easier to “keep” one extra seat to yourself than three seats in the worst-case scenario there’s an emergency situation (double-booking etc), and the car attendant needs a free seat to accommodate someone.

(2)

There’s hardly a safer alternative to keep your luggage other than the railway station locker or the hotel [but while most hotels will allow you to keep your luggage with them after check-out, I doubt they agree to keep it for a few days that you seem to require]

(3)

*Normally*, trains are supposed to be spotted at their departure platform in about 40-20min prior to the departure. This is the earliest time you can board (check the information tableau for the platform number of your train). But there are different situations, so trains might appear on the platform shorter (to departure) than that.

The latest time to board a train is minutes prior to departure (and better do not be late as trains in Ukraine are quite accurate to leave).

(4)

The attendants will first check your ticket before allowing you to board the train.

Shortly after departure the attendant passes through the carriage again, checks the tickets availability and collects all tickets that are then stored with the attendant until shortly before the arrival to the destination point.

Shortly before the arrival the attendant will pass through the carriage and ask if you need to be returned your ticket or not.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Thanks Cora, very useful information!

As for the train station locker, is it common for baggage to be stolen from the locker?

And for the train station, do you think it is easy for passengers to find their train? Anything I should pay special attention?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

>>> is it common for baggage to be stolen from the locker?

I've never heard this discussed as a problem (unlike occasional theft reports in Boryspil airport; so better don't check-in anything valuable when/if arriving to Ukraine by air).

>>> do you think it is easy for passengers to find their train? Anything I should pay special attention?

When you enter the Central Railway station, there will be electronic information displays on the wall opposite the entrance. For the trains that are shortly to depart (Відправлення - Departure) these will indicate the trains' number, direction, platform, departure time etc.

You will have to find your train among them (Київ - Сімферополь if you take Kyiv - Simferopol train, and make sure to double-check it by the number) and then - most important - note which platform it departs from. Then either take an escalator or stairs to the hall on the second floor - this is where all exits to the platforms are located (except #1).

In the large hall on the second floor you will see exits (stairs going down) along the right and left walls, numbered as per the number of platform. The displays by these exits will again contain the info on the trains leaving from the platforms that they lead to, so you can double-check it before going downstairs with your luggage.

The only trick then will be to guess which way to move (left or right) to find your carriage :) If the train is already on the platform, it will be easy as you will see the carriage number in the window by the entrance door to it. If it's not there yet, you may better want to stand somewhere in the middle of the platform and wait until the train arrives to the platform.

Edited: 12:25 pm, February 12, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Is it better to buy tickets in advance for the trains or on the day? If it's better in advance where do you recommend from?

Thank you

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

I would say in advance to make sure they will be available. The official website of the Ukrainian Rail to book is http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Thank you that's great :)

Klaipeda, Lithuania
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

Hi.

How much for 2nd class ticket Kiev-Simferopol?

How to get from the airport (Borispol) to the train station?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

HI edmis e and welcome to Ukraine forum!

Prices differ, depending on a train. You can find current train tickets' prices in UkrRailways on-line booking system here http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/ (choose Kyiv and Simferopol in the drop-down menu).

As for getting to the train station from Boryspil airport, you have a choice of taking a taxi or a public SkyBus, which goes to the Pivdennyj railway station (the other side of the Central railway station) http://kbp.aero/en/transport/sky-bus/

All these questions had been asked and answered millions times here in the forum before; please, read back or search through the forum if more details are needed.

Have a nice trip!

Edited: 3:36 pm, September 09, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

The trains to Crimea are often full, you must book them in advance, for instance on their Internet site. In summer, you must buy them VERY LONG in advance (in fact as soon as the reservation opens).

10. Re: Train Questions (Kiev to Simferopol)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 16, 2014