We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides -- Is there a certification

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Guides -- Is there a certification

I will be using a guide during my upcoming visit. Is there a certification from the tourism department or Ukrainian government?

If so, where are they published...website? Thank you.

CHERNOBYL TOUR
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, Eco Tours, Air Tours
UkraineToGo - Friend & Guide
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

Hi Smith,

There is no mandatory certification of guides in Ukraine. Try finding agencies that provide this kind of service, but they usually charge you dear for a personal guide.

Cities such as Lviv and Kiev have a well-developed tourist system: tourist buses around the town, place names indicated in English, tourist stands and maps. Also note that you have to choose from several top tourist cities: Kiev, Lviv, Odessa, Yalta (though Yalta may not be very welcoming in winter), perhaps Uzhgorod. In every city it is better to hire a different guide.

Kharkiv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

Hello.

Ukraine is a verry byrocratic country, so all things, what ofissialy certificated cost a lot of money :))) You can used halp of travel company (if you will have standart tour, or personal guide - if you will have free tour)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

Hi Smith,

In Lviv guides do have to undergo an obligatory certification, as far as I know.

Last time I was there a friend of mine who is a guide showed the special ID and said she wore it every time she had tourists because otherwise she might have problems with the local government.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

Hi Smith.

For example, I'm certificated guide.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

no mandatory certification; prior research does wonders: read wikipedia on the attraction/route first, talk to your guide next to see where his/her knowledge comes from :)

6. Re: Guides -- Is there a certification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 02, 2013