We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dneiper River Cruise

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dneiper River Cruise

Has anyone taken the cruise from Kieve to Odessa with World Value Cruises? I'd love to hear about your opinion. What was the ship like? Clean? Food? guides? What are the cabins like?

Is it good value for your money? We are thinking of going in June. Is that a good time to go?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

Hi Sweetgrass,

Unfortunately, cruise reports are rare here. Say, I only found this ancient thread through the search engine for the World Value Cruises:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k167…

Do hope someone will be able to answer your questions though. And in the meantime, have you tried CruiseCrtitic already?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Also, try reposting on TA Cruises forum as well:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.…

Good luck :)

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

I don't know about World Value Cruises but we (2 old ladies) just returned from the August 21, 2012 Dnieper River Cruise from Odessa to Kiev on the ship Viking Lomonosov. It is run by Viking River Cruises and was very well done. The cities, sites and history of Ukraine were very interesting. Most days in port there are 1 or 2 tours that are included in the cost of the cruise. Additional optional tours were available at reasonable costs. Air conditioned buses and knowledgable guides (some local and some from Viking) were provided for those trips. Generally passengers were assigned to a bus and travelled with the same driver and guide throughout the trip.

Ship: I loved the free WiFi available on board. There is a library with 2 computers or you can bring your own device. We were comfortable in our 107 sq. ft. cabin. It had a large window that opened. There were drawers and cabinet for hanging clothes as well as plenty of under bed space for suitcases. The shower was not separate but was easy to use. There was a TV in the room. We were also surprised and very happy to find that our cabin had a refrigerator. The ship was very clean and the room was serviced more than once per day. The housekeeping staff were super. This ship has no elevator and passengers must be able to use the stairs. There was a physician on board throughout the trip and was available at all times. The front desk was also staffed 24 hrs./day.

Food: The food was very good and varied. Passengers are assigned to one of the 2 dining rooms I believe based on the language they spoke. There were always several choices at each meal for each course. Dining service staff were also great.

Organization: This trip was so well organized. Daily newsletters for general world news and for daily activities/tours were provided in each cabin. Activities were run extremely well including lectures, demonstrations, tours, meals, etc.

Overall: We learned a great deal and enjoyed this trip very much. Ukraine continues to develop their tourist industry. When we were in port and had free time, we often walked around the cities. The people we met were friendly and welcoming. Many signs are in both Cyrillic and Latin letters. My one regret is that we did not spend an extra couple of days in Kiev at the end of the trip.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

Terrific cruise report, Carell! Thank you so much for posting it :)

Happy to add it to our Trip reports Collection tripadvisor.com/…28348864

Holbrook, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

I waited a week before writing this complaint about the flights home Viking scheduled for us from our Ukraine river cruise. We thought time might give us a better perspective. However,the more we thought about it,the more upset we became with the outrageous routing.

We received our flight arrangements from Viking less than a month before our trip, and only after I called to ask why we had not yet received any information. I called Viking to ask why we had to fly back to Kiev from Odessa, with a four and one half hour layover and fly to Paris with another four and one half hour layover, before traveling on to JFK in NY. I was told we had no choice but to return to Kiev and that was the best routing available from the Ukraine. I was never told that for a slight fee, there might be other options. I did not become aware of that until speaking with other passengers on the trip. Two other couples and ourselves appeared to be the only ones traveling this route on Air France. We asked if our luggage would at least be checked all the way through to NY, but no one on Viking staff could tell us. Or perhaps they preferred not to. (This was not their first trip to the Ukraine, and I find it hard to believe that no one at Viking knew,or cared to find out,how difficult the trip home would be.)

At our departure briefing we were told our luggage had to be out at 3:30am, Viking sailors would help with our luggage and a Viking tour guide would assist us at the airport. We would receive a box breakfast. In actuality, after unloading our luggage at the curb,(at this point there were 24 of us), we were forced to drag our luggage along with our carry-ons and boxed "breakfasts", into the airport ourselves. Our tour guide told us which window,(there were only 3)to go to, told us it would open in about 15 minutes,and left , not waiting to see if anyone had any problems checking in. I see now why she probably didn't wait around. After stomping on bugs for about fifteen or twenty minutes so they wouldn't get in our luggage, we finally got up to the window and were handed printed instructions on what we would have to do upon transfer in Kiev. We would have to retrieve our checked luggage and get a bus to the transfer terminal and recheck our bags through to Paris.

After checking our luggage, we had to climb a flight of stairs with our hand luggage and boxed "breakfast"to the security checkpoint, where they took away our bottle of water which was our "breakfast" drink. After going through security, we tried to eat the "breakfast" you gave us: two pieces of dried bread with a slice of meat and slice of cheese between; an even drier muffin, and a banana. Without anything to drink, we could not get it down. We thought we could eat in Kiev since we had a four and one half hour layover.

When our flight was called, we had to lug our carry-ons down a flight of stairs, on to a crowded bus, up a flight of stairs to the plane. In Kiev,we had to carry our hand luggage down the airplane's steps and on to a crowded bus. When we got off the bus,the checked luggage was waiting outside the terminal for us in the same trucks used to unload it from the plane. Everyone was climbing all over each other to lift the suitcases from the trucks. There were no carousels. We had to then drag all our luggage, fighting the crowds,into the terminal where we were to wait on long lines at the windows to which we were directed.

After waiting on line for about 45 minutes without moving,an airport official who spoke very little English indicated that we were on the wrong line.When we asked for the correct line, she pointed somewhere across a crowded terminal and said " Information". After fighting our way through the terminal and asking several more times,someone who spoke a little English told us to go to the Air France information window, which once we found,of course was closed. We were told it would not open until two hours before our flight. We were forced to stand with all our luggage and all the other people waiting for their flights,in front of TV monitors until our flight and windows were announced. We then had to work our way through the crowds again to stand on the check in line. All this time, there was no where to sit,nor could we eat,until we checked our bags and worked our through security to our gate. (This was about 11:30am and we had been up since 3 am).

After our first cup of coffee and snack of the day, we again lugged our carry-ons down a flight of stairs,on to yet another crowded bus, and up the flight of stairs to the plane to Paris. By this time, we ere almost looking forward to the four and one half hour layover in Paris. It was a long layover and even longer flight, but it least went smoothly until we arrived at JFK to find out that they had lost our luggage. Apparently, they had mis-coded our luggage in Kiev. We finally arrive home close to midnight. Our luggage came two days later.

I don't think I have to tell you that we'll most likely never travel with Viking again after this experience. We don't want other travelers to make the same mistake that we did, in allowing Viking to arrange our air transportation.

We have traveled all over the world, both on our own and with many other tour companies and have never had an experience like this. It's unfortunate that one bad experience , could color our perception of Viking River Cruises.

An unhappy customer,

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

I was sorry to read about your poor experience with air arrangements, Campy.

Just out of interest (I'm not a cruise person, so am not aware how it is) - is it normal that a river cruise company also takes care of their passengers' flights?

Holbrook, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

Yes they usually do, unless you request "land only" and then they will give you a reduction in price.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

I see; so no excuse for the lack of experience then..

Holbrook, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

True.

9. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:12 pm, October 02, 2012
10. Re: Dneiper River Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 24, 2013