We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Ukraine
Search

Seeking Advise

Cairo, Egypt
1 post
Seeking Advise
Save

i am moving to Kiev after 2 months as i will be joining in a big company, as my interest focus on what are the cost of living there as for food and transportation. as for example they will give me a daily allowance of 310 UAH for food and 80 UAH daily for transportation. can someone advise!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
22,702 posts
341 reviews
1,095 helpful votes
1. Re: Seeking Advise
Save

Hi Mostafa and welcome to Ukraine forum!

Please, look through this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k368… including the latest posts, of today, they have some updates.

Let know if you need more info after reading it.

Pack as much warm cloths and shoes as you can and buy more of those that you can't find in Egypt upon arrival to Ukraine - Kyiv winters are very cold.

Edited: 4:26 pm, July 05, 2011
Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Seeking Advise
Save

Hi Mostafa,

As far as I understand, you're going to live in Kyiv for some time, so knowing prices for food will be useful.

These are some AVERAGE supermarket prices (July 2011):

Loaf of bread - UAH 3.20 - 4.50

Milk (1liter) - UAH 6.40-7.50

Yoghurt - UAH 5

Cheese (1 kg) - UAH 65-70

Sausage (1 kg) - UAH 70

Potatoes (1 kg) - UAH 10-12

Cucumbers (1 kg) - UAH 4-6

Tomatoes (1 kg) - UAH 12

Vegetables is getting cheaper every week as summer moves on

Edited: 10:30 am, July 06, 2011
Kyiv
Level Contributor
22,702 posts
341 reviews
1,095 helpful votes
3. Re: Seeking Advise
Save

Marynuk, ahh, show me that supermarket you shop at, please! :)

Cheese in mine costs well after UAH 100 per kilo. Yesterday, in a centrally located market cucumbers were UAH 8 per kilo and good tomatoes were UAH 20/kg.

In Kyiv, all depends on the area you live in. My colleagues from Poznyaki can't believe the price we pay in the city centre for food; sometimes double of what they do.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Seeking Advise
Save

Also, you might want to check such budget eateries as Puzata Hata (there are many reviews on this forum), Zdorovenky Buly (near Khreshchatyk metro station) and Dva Husya (near Maidan Nezalezhnosti).

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Seeking Advise
Save

@ Cora,

this is Velyka Kyshenya in Pechersk, Furshet at Lybidska or supermarket in Magellan (Odeska Ploshcha).

Well, good exported cheese costs over UAH 100. Yesterday I was at Kyshenya and I remembered prices for domestically made cheese very well, they were 65-70 and up...

Edited: 10:52 am, July 06, 2011
6. Re: Seeking Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 06, 2012