We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAXI service in Belgrade

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
55 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
TAXI service in Belgrade

This morning while traveling to work TAXI driver, whom I know for some time told me that a customer from France was surprised when he has turned down RSD 6500 for a fair from city center to Ada, although the TAXI meter was showing only RSD 650 due to the fact that some other TAXI driver has asked RSD 3000 from main Railway station to the Republic square. This story and numerous similar which I have heard have motivated me to post this new topic since I feel that it can provide a central point for TAXI related information intended for potential visitors to Belgrade (and other cities in Serbia), although I have written in often about this subject on other topics.

Also I propose that this topic be pinned by Trip Advisor since it could provide valuable information to visitors.

This morning while traveling to work TAXI driver, whom I know for some time told me that a customer from France was surprised when he has turned down RSD 6500 for a fair from city center to Ada, although the TAXI meter was showing only RSD 650 due to the fact that some other TAXI driver has asked RSD 3000 from main Railway station to the Republic square. This story and numerous similar which I have heard have motivated me to post this new topic since I feel that it can provide a central point for TAXI related information intended for potential visitors to Belgrade (and other cities in Serbia), although I have written in often about this subject on other topics.

Also I propose that this topic be pinned by Trip Advisor since it could provide valuable information to visitors.

In general TAXI drivers can be divided in to licensed and illegal, easiest way to recognize the latter is to look for TX ending on their car’s license plates. Unfortunately this is not the end of the differentiation and this is where the plot thickens. The licensed TAXIs can be further divided in to independent (with white TAXI boards and with light blue BEO Taxi boards) and those which are members of a different associations or TAXI companies (which have customized TAXI signs).

TAXI associations provide additional security through their internal controls as well as call center where unsatisfied customers can post their complaints. Due to this I always use association’s TAXI and advise the same to everybody.

Easiest way of reaching an associated TAXI is by phone calling any number from (+381 11) 19801 to 19808 (1 has been introduced quite recently and because of this in some places all numbers can be found), some of the largest TAXI associations are Pink (phone # 19803), Maxi (19804) and Beogradski (19801), although my choice when not in a hurry is Plavi (19801). Please have in mind that additional discount which was available in some TAXI companies when called via phone is not available any more in Belgrade.

Usually, there are illegal or even worse legal but immoral taxi drivers at the main city square (Trg Republike) as well as during night in front of popular clubs, and they usually drive cars which stand out from average taxi drivers (Audi, Mercedes, sport and modified versions ...), avoid them!

As always useful information can be found on the TOB’s (Tourist organization of Belgrade) official web page http://www.tob.rs/en/travel_in.php?id=12

At the end please be advised that I am not a employed by any tourist or TAXI company and that I am doing this with no alternative motive.

Best regards,

Nebojsa

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Serbia
Serbia
Europe
Trg Republike
Trg Republike
350 Reviews
Belgrade, Serbia
52 replies to this topic
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

The best solution is to call a taxi, or to call companies who are working as a transport service. Many of my friends who are visiting Belgrade are calling Belgrade at night, they are organizing airport pickup and drop off and also drivings thru city from point A to B.

Mentioned in this post
Belgrade at Night
Belgrade at Night
286 Reviews
Belgrade, Serbia
Sipanska Luka...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

I've used taxis in Belgrade a number of times and didn't have any issues until recently. Needed to go to the Iranian Cultural Center which was about 6 km from my apartment. I was going there with a friend and she happened to get a taxi that was not legal. When they picked me up I didn't have a chance to see the license plate but I noticed that the meter ran even when we stopped at lights, thus the reason he was driving slow. The trip cost 2800 rsd for those 6 km. A total ripoff. As the taxi pulled away I saw the license plate and knew we had been scammed. Always check the license plate for the tx ending.

Mentioned in this post
9 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

There is a scam game - one's legal taxi drivers when notice foreigners or people who a first time in Belgrade becomes "illegal" and make big bill

Mentioned in this post
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

This is super useful for someone like me visiting Belgrade for the first time in a few weeks. Do taxi drivers take credit card or only cash? What if your hotel orders you one - can you prepay by card?

Mentioned in this post
kentucky
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

I have no idea what the solution might be - I have been ripped off by every taxi in Belgrade during several trips to the city. I might add that my wife and I took taxis on several trips in Nis and no problem. The tourist board in Belgrade needs to do something about the taxis. John

Mentioned in this post
Nis
Nis
Central Serbia, Serbia
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

Hi,

My Wife & I travelled to Belgrade this month and I used this app called Taxify many times. Works pretty much like Uber ( for those who are familiar with the same ) and fares were super reasonable ( many a times were slightly lower than what locals said it should be ! )

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

This site should be helpful to tourists before going to Belgrade (it will prevent being tricked by a taxi driver): beg.aero/en/…cene-taksi-prevoza-u-beogradu

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

I would highly recommend Car:Go service (http://appcargo.net/). Basically it's Serbian variant of Uber. You pay by credit card, don't need to think about tips, and it's cheaper than ordinary taxy.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

The only advice from me is: never ever hail a cab on the street! Because, especially in the city center, most of the time there are unlicensed cab drivers that will make you pay much more than you should (they do it to us locals as well, but when they see foreigners - they can't be happier!). I witnessed a scene when a horrible cab driver offered to some german tourists to drive them from point A to point B (all inside the city centre) for a crazy price and they accepted! Like 10 times more expensive than usual. So if you have the possibility, make a phonecall to one of the numbers listed in other replies here in the thread. (The worst cab drivers are on Trg Republike, Terazije, the Airport and under Brnakov bridge where there are tons of caffes and where river cruise ships dock). Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Trg Republike
Trg Republike
350 Reviews
Belgrade, Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
3 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: TAXI service in Belgrade

Hello,

that things with wild cabs in Belgrade are happening a lot! That's why I write a blog post that may help tourists in Belgrade to recognize that "pirate" taxi from regular taxis. You can read it on taxionline.rs/en/…. I hope that it can be useful to everyone who comes to Belgrade.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: TAXI service in Belgrade
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted