We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

Greetings!

I'm planning on being in Beograd at the end of July until the end of September to visit family.

I'm trying to find the best options of getting to Vienna and Stockholm by public transport.

My family would offer to drive me there but I would rather just know what my options are instead of making them feel obligated to go with me since they will be driving be back and forth to Montenegro, Bosna and Croatia during my stay.

It's been years since I visited last and I never had time to explore since I had to visit so many family members in such a short time, but since I will be there for 2 months I have the time to explore.

I know I can easily book a plane ticket and go but I would like to see the country sides and wasn't sure if trains or buses are available for either of these destinations.

Any advice would help out a lot!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

There are numerous regular bus services to Wien, usually two departing in the morning and one in the afternoon, arriving in Wien around 4-5 pm and 1-2 am respectively. I'm afraid the scenery is not much to look at as most services nowadays go via the highway instead of the local roads so it's pretty much the Great Hungarian Plain throughout the journey. The alternative is taking the notoriously unreliable train service to Budapest and then changing to RailJet which will take you to Wien fairly quickly. The upside to taking the train is that you're unlikely to end up stranded at the Hungarian border for two hours waiting to complete the border formalities.

If you intend to travel from Wien to Stockholm by train, it is then best to buy an InterRail card (assumed you have a Serbian passport as well, otherwise look for Eurail passes). From Wien to Stockholm you can take a variety of train services, depending on your itinerary preference, but the journey is likely to take 24 consecutive hours or two days with an overnight stop. This journey planner offers a good starting point: http://www.interrail.eu/planning

Note that taking a train from Wien to Stockholm (especially if using high-speed services) could end up being a far more expensive option than flying if you're not using one of the rail passes.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Belgrade and have a safe journey around Europe.

Edited: 4:48 am, May 24, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

Thanks for all the info!

It sounds like traveling to Wien by train shouldn't be too difficult.

I wouldn't go directly from Wien to Stockholm, it would be at a different time probably spend a few days in Wien and return to Beograd and then a week later take off to Stockholm from Belgrade...what would the best way for that be??

I am traveling with an American passport, my Serbian isn't too horrible I don't sound like a have that much of an accent so I can pass off as a local. Do I want to present myself as more American or Serbian when traveling to Wien and Stockholm???

I have heard horror stories about traveling on night trains to Hungary and I am definitely avoiding that!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

Traveling to Wien by bus* shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, hiring a taxi service with somewhat nicer cars to drive me to Bosna...is that a good or bad idea??

I wouldn't be traveling alone, it would be with other girls in their late 20's. I just don't want to worry about anyone hassling us and I am not sure how safe hiring a car service would be?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

It's not really necessary to hire a taxi service to get from Belgrade to Bosnia. Depending on where exactly you're going, there are quite a few regular bus services that can take you there, hassle free. I wouldn't concern myself too much about passing off as a local or American - you are highly unlikely to run into any type of inconvenience either way so think about enjoying your journey primarily. Although you can run into people carrying grudges, tensions are really not as high as they used to be. The passport question only related to the choice of a train pass - InterRail is for European residents only, whereas EuRail is for non-Europeans and is best to get it before flying to the Continent.

Going from Belgrade to Stockholm is really covering a lot of ground, so the best itinerary depends on how long you want to spend traveling and whether you'd like to do some sightseeing along the way. Wizz Air operates a direct service to an airport some 100 km off Stockholm so flying is a convenient option. Otherwise, you can take a bus/train to Budapest, then board the RailJet to Munich (personally, I think it would be a shame to pass through Salzburg without spending a day or two there). From Munich, there are plenty or north-bound ICE services but I can't offer any advice on what's the best route to take. Alternatively, you can get to Munich from Belgrade on a train via Villach. This route should be more scenic.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

Good advice from Genuinekale

I'm not up on all the public transport options and train routes but suggest if visiting Vienna you do so then go to Stockholm, going back and forth to Belgrade doesn't make much sense. have your stay in Belgrade

then from Belgrade follow the routes suggested and then use Vienna or Munich as a hub to fly onto Stockholm - that's what I'd do anyway. Kale is right about Salzburg, Vienna-Salzburg- Munich nice route and cities as is Budapest of course.

Belgrade Bosnia, yep just get a bus or a minibus hire company like GEo Tours. I doubt you'd pass as a local but it doesn't matter, if you are travelling on a USA passport you get questioned accordingly regardless of your language, if you have other passports/nationalities then sometimes it saves time to present a more local passport , sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't worry about it, very few issues for American travellers in this region any residual and continuing grievances from,locals are aimed *ONLY*

at countries leaders for their policies - not Joe or Josephine public - you will receive a warm welcome.

Stoofer

Edited: 4:56 am, May 28, 2013
Belgrade, Serbia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

By "best" you mean fastest or cheapest?

Don't know about Stockholm (never been that far up North) but as for Belgrade Vienna (or Budapest, Munich - where there are lot of low-cost air links) you may try minibus services. There are lot of them like www.joca-prevoz.com or htttp://geaturs.rs and many others so you should check prices - if you're travelling in group, you can make yourself a deal cheaper than train :) I used these two so I can recommend them.

7. Re: Best ways to travel to Stockholm and Vienna from Belgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Belgrade