We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car insurance in Serbia

Which Belgrade hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Topic
car insurance in Serbia

Can anyone help with informatio re car insurance in Serbia as most english companies will not insure for Serbia I want cover for about 5 days as we pass through.

Novi Sad
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car insurance in Serbia

As much as I know, continental EU countries rent cars for going to Serbia without any problems... some folks in UK seem to be stuck with an idea of Serbia from 6-7 years ago, since in some of their banks from time to time they even say that it's imposible to make money transfers to and from Serbia "'cuz they're under UN sanctions"?!! Try renting a car in France or simply go to AVIS car rental....

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car insurance in Serbia

I'm assuming this regards insurance for your own car already driving in Europe? As rental is no problem.

I'm surpeisee they won't insure, it should be only Kosovo that concerns insurance companies for greater risk.

I've not driven my own vehicle in Serbia for some years so can't help.

Hope someone answers you soon, with some experience.

UK
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: car insurance in Serbia

Davy-Crocket,

Did you get insurance for Serbis last year as I am having the same problem for this summer . Any advice hints or tips on insurance and driving in Serbia would be welcome

Thanks

Anthony

United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car insurance in Serbia

you will have to pay for insurance at the border as you enter serbia.Last year I paid 9,230 dinars = approx £80.00 its a racket because they wont tell what it covers you for , but you have no option . make sure you have all your car documents with you as they will want proof of ownership ,insurance, driving license, MOT. We also had to pay on entry to macedonia as they wouldn't accept a green card although we managed to barter them down from 60 euros to 20 again its a racket as we found out later they share out the days takings between themselves.Driving is no problem in Serbia as long as you stick to speed limits as the police look out for easy targets to "fine" as pocket money. We also had to pay for insurance to go through Kosovo.but the borders are control by the U.N. so there wasn't the fiddles. Croatia was fine but be care ful of rouge car parks in Dubrovnic we were £5 an hour where no price list was on show. If you are looking for a stop over in Serbia Soko Banja just off the main road through Serbia below Belgrade its a fasinating little town with very cheap accomodation and restaurants

have good journey davy crocket

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car insurance in Serbia

Must meddle! Soko Banja? Didn´t know anybody could find it since it pretty much off-road. When you go to Soko Banja, I think you must past Aleksinac, and my Nana´s house on the road out of Aleksinac. So hi to you Davy!

Didn´t know it was such a problem with ensurance, from Sweden it isn´t as it is valid nowadays. Just have to not forget the green card. And yes, theý´re looking for easy money, they will search til they find something when they see a foreign vehicle=money.

Beers
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car insurance in Serbia

Passed the Hungarian-Serbian border two times last week at Hogroz, south of Szeged (Hungary) without any problem (that is as far as paperwork is concerned; the second passage took 4,5 hours because it was very busy). The first time they asked for my green card (you have to check with you insurance companybefore you go if it covers Serbia). The second time they didn't even ask for the green card. But beware of the police. Driving into Subotica (North Serbia) did cost me 3000 dinars as a was speeding, the police said. The local tourist office said they are corrupt and you shouldn't pay the full fine. Just say you need no faktura and your are willing to pay a lower amount, let's say one third of what they want you to pay. Have fun. (By the way: Subotica is a very nice town).

hove
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: car insurance in Serbia

i have passed through serbia on easter and payed around 140 euros for a two litre engine car. that was the minimum time, one month. i am trying to find out if it isstill the same now or whether i can ge anyting cheaper from the net.

durham england
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: car insurance in Serbia

hi im also trying to get ins for two weeks so i can travel through serbia into bulgaria did you have any luck with your serch for insurance or did you buy it at the bourder thanks

UK and Bulgaria
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: car insurance in Serbia

Border insurance is a scam and there are reports of 150-250 Euros this year. On top of that motorway charges are high but the motorways are good. It is always best to get insurance in the UK, sometimes this available at additional cost, sometimes not available at all so consider a different policy!

Unfortunately it is the quickest way to Bulgaria, Romania is a nightmare!

Garry

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car insurance in Serbia

We drove through Serbia in July from Bosnia on our way to Greece(we had to pay €17 at the Bosnian border for the green card insurance). We initially tried to cross into Serbia on the road from Visegrad but were turned away as there was nobody who could sell us the extra car insurance. We were directed to Uvac where they charged us €125. We tried negotiating but got nowhere. A French guy travelling through at the same time as us was charged €125 for the quad bike he was towing on a trailer behind his car.

As we were driving straight through the same day, it felt like a complete rip off (which I'm sure it was) - and they will only take Euros, no local currency, cheques or credit cards.

Had to pay €10 ecotax at the Montenegro border and were given a lovely car sticker!! Nothing to pay at the Kosovo border, although the UN guards said they hadn't had any British cars through that way (I think we took a strange route having been redirected via Uvac), they said we 'should' be OK and gave us a card to say we were in transit to Greece. €50 to pay at the Macedonian border.