We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

Which Belgrade hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

If a man from Belgrade decides to date a lady of the Black culture in America will this in anyway offend his family. Interracial relationships are becoming more prevalent in the USA. But, it has not been fully accepted in all part of the USA. Wondered if there is a different mindset with men from Belgrade!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

Hi Mildred,

thanks to the Non-Aligned movement in the 60's, 70's and 80's there were many foreign students from all over the World in Belgrade. Especially from Africa and Asia and there are a lot of mixed marriages from that period. I think "ice was broken" then and now it's widely accepted, of course as long as you are respectful toward the culture (religion, customs...) of your partner. There would always be some jokes, looks etc. but nothing with malice.

Of course you can always find some fools, but they are really negligible minority.

Generally in Serbia there is a great birthrate problem, known here as "white plague" (this problem is still not recognized in the Western countries, especially not in the US). In just 10 years Serbia lost about 5% of its population and with current birth/death ratio it will only get worse. We are becoming the country of the old men. So I think it also contributed to the more liberal views toward all kinds of mixed relationships. Even in rural areas the is an ongoing trend of middle aged Serbian farmers marrying women from Albania, in spite recent wars and all the trouble between the two nations.

If you have anything else to ask don't hesitate.

Cheers!

Edited: 5:10 pm, September 24, 2012
Belgrade
Level Contributor
404 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

Hi Mildred,

I mostly agree with Bogi_man. A friend of mine married a guy from Jordan, and they already have a grandchildren. Another young friend just married a Malaysian girl, and I wouldn't mind if my son going to date or marry girl of any culture if she makes him happy.

Best regards,

Ceca

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

Unless from some very strict religious idiology countries I think the same answers will apply in most countries worldwide, I sometimes wonder why some questions are posed on this forum, it's as if Serbia was some weird kind of wilderness but then I guess politically that's the legacy we live with today.

Belgrade does not have the ethnic diversity of cities like London so 'looks' and interest are shown more out of curiosity than malice, except as Bogiman says for a few idiots that every county experiences. Any new family member from a different country regardless of colour will be subject to curiosity, questioning etc. I still get that after 20 +years of marriage to a Serb. it just goes with the territory, nothing menacing.

I often see posts or questions regarding racism in Belgrade, I've never seen it, most black people seen regularly in Belgrade are in fact kind of role models, footballers, sports folk, politicians etc. I don't see many black people in Belgrade regularly but know that few people bat an eyelid so I don't see Belgrade or Serbia as any different to other European countries in that regard.

Stoofer

4. Re: What are the current views on dating other racial groups?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 14, 2013