We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Waterloo, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

I am meeting extended family in Dolovo during a very short trip to Belgrade while my boyfriend attends a conference in Budapest. The plan is to arrive in Belgrade on Monday night (in March 2012) and stay in a BnB in Belgrade, see family in Dolovo on Tuesday during the day, return to my BnB in BelgradeTuesday night and take the early train back to Budapest on Wednesday. I have never met my extended family there and don't want to put them out by asking them to pick me up. I have attempted to look up the public bus timetable on www.bas.rs but it appears that the bus does not go to Dolovo on Tuesday and the posted online schedule only goes to mid-February 2012. What is the best way to get to/from Belgrade/Dolovo on my timetable? I believe it's about 45 kms each way. Is it safe to take a cab, i.e., can I be confident that the cab would return to Dolovo to pick me up at the end of the day if I asked? If so, about how much should I expect to pay for that each way? I suppose I can rent a car but I will be there on my own and I won't be able to read the Cyrillic road signs. Truthfully the thought of driving there scares me a bit... maybe it's not as difficult as I imagine though?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

I would recommend that you use Pančevo as a some sort of a "base camp". Dolovo is just about 17 km from Pančevo.

There are many buses and trains that go daily from Belgrade to Pančevo (about 15 km).

From there you can take a cab for significantly less money than from Belgrade or you can use Pančevo public bus number 2, its last station is Dolovo.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Waterloo, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Thanks! Hadn't thought of that. Do you know how often Bus # 2 runs or where I can find out that info? I have seen many listings for reliable cab companies in Belgrade (BeoTaxi, Pink Taxi, etc) but i'm not sure that they run from Pancevo. Do you know the name of a good cab company in Pancevo? Also, do you have any recommendation for somewhere nice to stay in Pancevo? I was hoping to stay at the Art Home BnB in Belgrade, which has good reviews. There are only two hotels/BnBs listed for Pancevo on tripadvisor. Given the review, the folks at "Motel Miss" sound hospitable but it's potentially a more "interesting" atmosphere than Im looking for.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Sounds like a lot of mesing around to me.

I don't know Dolovo well at all, only passed it so can't help other that to advise if it was me I'd do a deal with a Belgrade taxi firm. More difficult when not on-site I know but you could call the respectable firms on arrival to Belgrade to work somehing out. Though to be honest I really don't think this is a big deal just ordering a taxi in normal way and telephoning from Dolovo to pick you up.

Put the distance into context, it takes about 40 - 45mins mins drive to Dolovo, the airport takes 20 -25. I think in terms of miles it's less than double the distance. Therefore a taxi fare is going to be in the region of airport x 2 that's RSD 2500 - 3000 max. that's on the meter without a deal, I think a taxi company would offer the return fare for 5000..

Up to you but paying for a taxi will mean you can sleep in Belgrade ready for transit to Budapest and you have the nightlife and facities at your disposal, why be isolated in a small town only 40 mins drive away?

If budget is really tight I can understand, otherwise just bite the cost IMO, if you don't trust the taxi for return, go one way from Belgrade having agreed the price, then get your family to book a Dolovo taxi at agreed price back to Belgrade.

But my better advice would be talk to the family you visit, if they have a car they will not be put out at all, this is Serbia, hospitality capital of the world!

If I were yyou I'd offer to pay them to collect you and take you back, they'd welcome 5000 RSD IMHO and if they are feeding you and watering you it's not a huge price to pay = approx EUR 50

Best of luck

Stoofer

Waterloo, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Yes, good advice thanks. Pancevo does seem like more work. Plus, accommodations seem iffy. I hadn't considered that Dolovo is only about twice the distance as the distance from the airport to Belgrade. Art Home BnB can probably also arrange taxi pick up and drop off for me. Since posting, I just found Belgrade Taxi online, which offers longer distance driving and it appears that it will cost about 60 Euros RT. I think I will opt for a regular cab and arrange pick up in advance or go with Belgrade Taxi. Thanks for your help.

On another note, you seem to know a lot about the area. Any idea what would be good general gift ideas for an adult man and a woman living in Serbia?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

I think both of you didn't understand me, thanks to my bad English.

I didn't mean that you should spend a night in Pančevo, just to use it as a stopover to Dolovo, because it's half an hour by bus.

But if budget is not a problem, taxi is easier solution, but everything above 50€ would be rip off, heck that's like two return tickets to Budapest :-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Unfortunately, Bogi Man, I think for a visitor with little time this is a case of paying for convenience, sometimes you have to bite it.

I still think the family might prefer to collect and drop themselves, Dolovo, especially if you recompense them. In Serbia rural, EUR50 goes a long way, do ask them as paying a taxi when they might need some money themselves (I have no idea of course) isn't best planning. In Serbia (thanks to politics and economy) even those with nothing will give a guest everything, so do consider that actually you might do them a favour by asking.

Gifts?

Well, maybe for the man some spirit or liqueur local to your home country,

for the lady, soap, perfume, something cosmetic not easy to find in Serbia.

Or something to wear, scarf, gloves. hat that sort of thing. As everywhere, guys don't care about gifts but ladies like to get what they can't find at home, then they can show off to the neighbours! ;-)

Stoofer

Waterloo, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

Thank you both for your advice :)

8. Re: Best way to get from Belgrade to/from Dolovo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, April 29, 2013