We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

Which Belgrade hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

Hello,

I am looking for information on transport from Belgrade to Montenegro for december/ january. I am planning to fly to Belgrade, then make it over to Montenegro coast (Tivat, where I have been a few times already).

I found an old threat about this question from 2006, but would like to get some current information.

Are there bus or train connections? How long does this trip take?

Or would you recommend flying Belgrade- Tivat (if there are flights)?

Thanks!!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

If Your budget allows you there are flights from Belgrade to Tivat few times a day by JAT or Montenegro airlines.

There are buses at 8:30 13:30 17:30 19:00 and 23:00 and trip lasts for almost 12 hours

Trains are goin just to Bar on coast or you can go to Podgorica, and then catch local bus to some city on coast.

greetz Ivan

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

It's a long old grind by bus, train is slow and you need to change then combine with local transport. These options are ok if very limited on budget AND with plenty of time on your hands otherwise fly, very easy and regular from Belgrade.

An alternative is to drive yourself with a hire car though that's not suited to all, and by the time you factor in insurance and fuel flying is probably much cheaper even for 2.

Edit: Check out JAT website, they have some sales on at the moment that cover your dates if outside the festive period.

Stoofer

Edited: 12:22 pm, December 12, 2011
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

Personally I would never consider anything else than flying or driving myself. With my own car or rental.

If you are patient and not care about comfort and travel without children, by all means, take the bus or train. It will be a cheap 10-12 hour trip you will never forget.. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
425 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

As a pro of flying and driving to Montenegro for most of my life.......my personal advise is....

Flying is easy fast.......you see nothing, it over in 45minutes.....

By taking the bus (there's one almost every hour from Belgrade) which is cheaper than flying....but the cons are, too long to sit on a BUS it makes stops for breaks every so often, but it is not that comfy, and most of the buses leave at night, when its dark and you cannot experience the beauty of the countryside.

If renting a car which can get expensive is not an option, I would always recommend you try and find someone to share a adventure ride with. Or if you know anyone in Belgrade offer to pay for the gas, I am sure you will find someone who could drive you down for a free trip and have and afternoon swim before coming back. This way you could leave early in the morning and experience the real beauty of both Serbia/Montenegro as the drive down (at your own pace) really is breathtaking. I usually do a picnic lunch and we stop off a a nice spot and enjoy!

good luck

5. Re: public transport from Belgrade to Montenegro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 21, 2013