We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife.

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife.

Hi. I'm thinking of visiting Belgrade this summer and I'll admit I don't know a lot about the bar and nightclub scene there. Whats the welcome like? Is it safe? Does anyone have any advice? As with most people in the UK unfortunately we haven't had a lot of information on Serbia. Thanks.

scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife.

bars and nightclubs are excellent, the people are spot on. no where in the uk you are from but its a hell of alot safer there than here...FACT

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife.

In the summer you have, in addition to the usual bars & clubs, the splav culture in full swing. These are pontoons on the river, restaurants, clubs and bars, they are open all year but in summer you get to be outside on the river, it's a great atmosphere. Some dance floors out in the open on the river etc.

You also have the 'beach resort' of Ada Ciganlija, again some good music bars great in summer as well as day time water and sport activities.

Nearer the time, ask for info on these areas.

There is no similar experience in UK.

For decent visitors, you will be very welcome.

Regarding safety, the general culture in Belgrade is one of respecting other folk. Elder generations are respected by youth etc. certainly far more than in UK. There are no safety issues, just watch out for pickpockets as in any major city. People are very friendly to visitors.

NOTE:

The only important advice for some younger people visiting from UK, is not to mistake the laid-back atmosphere and this mutual respect for being totally liberal. DO NOT engage in the drunken idiocy seen in our UK high streets at weekends because it is not tolerated. Confrontations are rare and usually only following provocation but can be much more severe than the usual brawls in UK. You must also respect the police.

In other words, usual party goers have nothing to worry about, but drunken idiots looking to cause trouble or be disrespectful have a high chance of regretting their actions.

I wish it was like that in the UK ! :-)

Stoofer

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife.

Brilliant advice, thanks for taking the time to reply. From the sounds of it I should be worrying about going out at home rather than in Belgrade! It sounds like great fun.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife.

Yep, that's true Mat.

My mother-in-law is 76 and has no worries walking around at night, more likely to be offered a lift home than mugged! Young children can also go out to play without all the worries we have here.

So much for our 'enviable society' in the U.K.:-(

Belgrade has a lot of problems but the cultural basics are firmly in place. :-)

If you want to see some photo gallery and do some research, good links here:

www.belgradeeye.com

Stoofer

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife.

Great link, thanks. Apart from the obvious (no walking around dark alleys with money sticking out of my pockets and so on), any special advice for a solo traveller?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife.

Not really, not regarding safety, as I said, it's not an issue.

To get the most out of Belgrade, study the tram & trolley bus network, use these for moving around.

Whilst the best splavovi clubs are towards Zemun and the beach fun on Ada, these are both accessable by bus (taxi back if very late at night) so I'd recommend getting accomodation in the old town.

Tip:

I sometimes go out on my own in the summer, I'd thorougly recommend going in the morninmg to Ada and hiring a bike (about £5 a day, take some ID to leave as deposit) then exploring Ada and Zemun by bike.

Do a lap around Ada, check out the water skiing, the sports facilities, also Ada safari and the BBQplaces for lunch.

From Ada there is bike path following the river, it goes right along to the front of the fortress with several stop off points, you can also take the lift up and over the bridge to the other side of the river (New Belgrade) keeping on the bike route all the way to Zemun. Basically you follow the river again. You'll see the splavovi, explore Zemun, get to know the layout of all areas of interest outside of Old Belgrade. Everywhere else is walkable if you get a hotel in old town.

The great thing with Belgrade, is in summer it's more than a city holiday, the riversides, Ada lake & beach etc. It's all part of Belgrade but feels like having day trips out of the city. Old Belgrade very compact.

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife.

P.S. If it really hot, the open air (and indoor) swimming pool at Tasmijdan park is welcome relief, a good vibe too, music, little bar, lots of - 'scenery'. :-)

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife.

Brilliant guidance, thanks!

9. Re: Nightlife.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Belgrade