We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Schools Belgrade

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
British Schools Belgrade

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone has any opinions on British Schools, namely Chartwell and BIS.

My family will be coming over during the summer and we would be looking to enrol our 13 year old daughter in a British style school.

Any opinions greatly received.

thanks

8 replies to this topic
Belgrade
Level Contributor
891 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Schools Belgrade

Hello Robert,

I have an acquaintance working there as a teacher, and as a staff he is of course saying the school is great and kids are happy to be there. He is very satisfied as a teacher there. He also told me they have a summer camp starting from 25th of June to 30th of July.

Br, Ceca

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: British Schools Belgrade

What one is that Ceca, Chartwell? I would think so, they have lots of activities/camps.

I cannot give an opinion on performance, just location and how they look from outside.

Chartwell is very much a school in a small campus, it's well known for diplomats having children enrolled there, location is in a good area, quiet outside the city. We considered living full time in Belgrade when our daughter was that age, did consider here but ended up staying at school in U.K.

BIS is not far away in a more residential area, so much so that when you pass it looks like an old house, I think it was once a foreign embassy building. That area of Dedinja (where both schools are located) is very much diplomatic residential area. You need trolley bus to get into the city and a bit of walking (10 mins to stops). As a neighbourhood it's quite good though not huge amount of facilities.

Passing Chartwell you can see what it is, lawns, sports pitches etc. I've passed BIS many times (I live quite close) and TBH never realised it was a school! It's certainly much smaller than Chartwell and without outdoor facilities unless they bus pupils to another location.

I would visit both myself first and check on all facilities depending on your needs. If you want outdoor space and sports etc. I would think Chartwell will score higher. I don't want to be unfair to BIS, maybe they have a great achievement record and I guess that is what counts.

Sorry can't be more helpful outside of location and facilities.

Stoofer

Belgrade
Level Contributor
891 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Schools Belgrade

I was talking about Chartwell school

https:/…contacts-chartwell.aspx , my acquaintance is working there as a teacher.

BIS is the first international schools based in Belgrade, it used to be on the other location earlier, when founded in 1997 (Vozdovac area.Brace Jerkovic), not sure when moved to Dedinje area.

Br, Ceca

Belgrade
Level Contributor
891 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Schools Belgrade

I know some kids who were attending BIS (but that was quite a long time ago), but at that time, that was the only international school based in Belgrade. I have no personal experience with none of them, so I would either follow Stoofer's advice or maybe ask the same question on Belgrade expat's forum.

Br, Ceca

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: British Schools Belgrade

I'll ask about the BIS move, it's almost certainly a past embassy or diplomatic residence IMO. As I said, you can walk right by and not realise it's a school, I did for years. Chartwell is more 'in yer face' and big facilities.

Not that it helps the OP. ;-(

Stoofer

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: British Schools Belgrade

Ceca and Stoofer,

Thanks both for the feedback.

We had the same impression, ie Chartwell looks more like a school than BIS. However we wont judge a book by it's cover. I too went to an international school, in the Middle East and my school was a villa with portakabins. However it was a good school with great teachers.

A bit more investigation to be done.

Once again, thanks

Robert

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: British Schools Belgrade

Yes exactly Robert.

For BIS it looks well out the way but actually convenient and regular trolley busses to city just 5 min walk away. It's no harder to get to than Chartwell.

I don't where you are from and how long the stay but I'd pop over and visit both before deciding.

Stoofer

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: British Schools Belgrade

Stoofer, thanks for some good advice. We will take a trip to both schools. Robert

Reply to: British Schools Belgrade
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted