We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bucharest to transylvania

derby, uk
14 posts
Save Topic
bucharest to transylvania

how far is transylvania from bucharest, romania?

can it be done as a day trip to see draculas castle?

is it by train or bus?

thanks again!

Iasi, Romania
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bucharest to transylvania

Hello,

I am not sure if you are aware, but Transylvania is a region of Romania so it is part of Romania. Few counties form Transylvania, and you definetly cant see all the counties in one day.

What you could do is take a train or car and visit Peles Castle, and go to Brasov.

If you want to see Bran Castle ( Dracula Castle) , Rasnov Citadel and Few of the Fortified Churches I reccomend you rent a car and drive to those places.

Would be of a great use to you, if you would consult a map. Try this link for finding out distances between cities, so you can have an idea of how far places are: http://www.sosele.com/index.jsp

If you need more help, please let me know at gabriela@earomania.com.

Gabriela

indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bucharest to transylvania

It's not really a day trip. It'll take about 4.5 -5 hours by car to get into Romania from Bucharest. A little longer by train, or there are some busses, but it'll be cramped. However, you could fly to Cluj from Budapest.

Cluj is pretty cool, and it's in the Transilvania region. It's about an hour flight. From there you'll need other transportation to get around. I don't know how far some of the other things to see are from Cluj but that's potentially the only way you can say you've been to Translyvania for a day and fly back to Budapest.

Note: driving in Romania is a little scary. Cars are passing one another like Nascar. Really crazy! Romania isn't really an accessable tourist destination. The roads need to be upgraded as well as other improvements made.

NYC
Level Contributor
40 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bucharest to transylvania

I would fly to Budapest then catch a Malev/Carptair flight to Cluj or Sibiu. Cluj has a better train schedule icluding Intercity trains to Brasov. You will have ot have a car or bus take you to Bran. Skip Bucharest if you can.

I did this in May and worked out well.

NYC
Level Contributor
40 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bucharest to transylvania

I would fly to Budapest then catch a Malev/Carptair flight to Cluj or Sibiu. Cluj has a better train schedule icluding Intercity trains to Brasov. You will have ot have a car or bus take you to Bran. Skip Bucharest if you can.

I did this in May and worked out well.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bucharest to transylvania

We flew into Cluj on Carpatair and had no problems. We rented a car with Rodna car rental and found them to be prompt in their replies to me and the car was perfect. I must admit, driving was wild but once you get your courage up, you will be find. The roads from Cluj to Campulung-Moldovenesc where the painted monastaries are located are HORRIBLE but the scenery is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! We went to Bran Castle even though Dracula was never there. It was very "touristy" and expensive but the other two castles we wanted to see were closed. Spend some time in Brasov; it is a wonderful town. Any questions, feel free to write me. I loved Romania and thought it was a beautiful country.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bucharest to transylvania

Its pretty easy and cheap to get to Transylvania from Bucharest on the train. From the North Station its about 1.5 hours to reach the mountains - Sinaia which is a good place to stop. Brasov is 2hrs and a nice city. Sibiu and Sighisoara are also great places but about 4-5 hours by train. Trains are pretty comfortable and frequent (every hour or so). As for Dracula's castle (its fake !) at Bran, its close to Brasov but there are no trains there - get a bus or taxi from Brasov.