We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from bucharest to budapest

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Topic
train from bucharest to budapest

hello

i want to take a train from bucharest to budapest on the 09\22

do i take the train from gara de nord?

where can i see the train timetable and prices?

do i have to buy in advance or on the same day?

thank in advance

Gil

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

Yes, all trains to Budapest leave from Gara de Nord.

Now there are two direct trains on this route - one leaves from Bucharest at 14.30 and gets to Budapest ~4.30, the other leaves Bucharest at 19.00 and reaches Budapest ~9.00.

You can check timetables on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en or on http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php . Both sites show all possible train connection between these cities not just direct trains.

Regular tickets range very approximately between €58 (second class seats) and €180 (single bed sleeping car compartment).

Best option are three or two beds sleeper compartments (~€83 respectively ~€97 per bed)

It's best to book with one day in advance.

If you book with more than a week in advance you can get discounted tickets: €29 second class seats, €39/bed in a 6 beds compartment, €59/bed in a three beds sleeper.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

thank you

the information is exactly what i needed

cheers

Gil

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

You can now book the sleeper train online!

Go to www.mav-start.hu (Hungarian Railways). Booking opens 90 days ahead. I strongly recommend using the Google Chrome browser, as the MAV site switches back to Hungarian half way through the process, but Chrome's built-in translation facility means this shouldn't be a problem.

Click 'English' top right, and enter 'Budapest' to 'Bucuresti' or 'Brasov' in the journey planner. When the results appear, ignore them, select 'couchette' or 'sleeping' car, enter your date of birth in format 'YYYY.MM.DD' and click 'Tickets and prices'.

On the next page, click for 'Further information' then click 'Open'. Now select and book the train. You can book couchettes or sleepers on the Ister online using this system, with various types of reduced-rate book-ahead ticket such as 'Fortuna', just pick the cheapest ticket.

The MAV website is a little fiddly, just persevere, it will indeed book this train!

You pay online and collect tickets from the internet ticket collection point at Budapest Keleti station with the reference number and original credit card.

Oh, and the EuroNight (EN) 'Ister' has a restaurant car for dinner, and a very nice modern air-conditioned sleeping-car, a comfortable way to go - with great Alpine scenery as it descends through the Carpathian mountains east of Brasov.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

thanks again

i am in bucharest and need to take the train from bucharest,

can i still order the ticket online and collect it at gara the nord station?

thank in advance

gil

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

If you order a ticket on the MAV site you have to pick it up in Hungary. The site says: " Please note that home printing of international tickets is not possible. International tickets booked online must be collected at one of the e-Ticket machines located at 40 railways stations in Hungary before your journey."

If you want to book in Bucharest try contacting Wasteels ( http://www.triptkts.ro/contact.php ).

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

Sorry, my bad, I though you were going Budapest to Bucharest.

Mav-start is only for journeys starting at the Hungarian end.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

I have had success at

https://bilete.cfrcalatori.ro

Booked, paid, and printed tickets online from abroad.

8. Re: train from bucharest to budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 10, 2013