We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

We're planning to travel to Romania (more precise Transsylvania) in August. The dilemma is if it is wise to take our own car (a BMW). It is not the distance that worries us but more if we'll find the car back in the morning. We are experienced travelers in Central Europe and did many trips in Poland, the Baltic States, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech republic and Croatia with our own car. But everywhere we hear the warning "don't take your car into Romania because they'll steal it from the hotel garage or worse hijack it while you drive". Are these just horror stories coming from prejudice or are they actually true? If so we might better fly to Bucharest and rent a Romanian car there.

34 replies to this topic
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

You can safely travel through Romania with your car, the chances it will get stolen are low (the stories you've heard are exaggerated).

The worst that could happen is that the car gets broken into, so just don't leave valuable things (money, cards, cameras, ID papers, clothes etc.) inside the car when it's parked.

Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

"It is not the distance that worries us but more if we'll find the car back in the morning."

Haha you don't mean this serious don't you? Of course this is not the case. You give the answer yourself:

"just horror stories coming from prejudice"

Have a good trip,

Matthijs

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

Thanks, I guessed so but the stories were quit persistent. So better double check. We always made a habit of it to only park in guarded parking lots or garages when in Central Europe so I guess the same goes for Romania.

Any more tips while you're at it? What are the must sees and what are the best walking areas (something between hiking and long walks).

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

In principle the must sees are the historical cities in southern Transylvania (Sibiu, Brasov, Sighisoara) and the various castles/old churches/old villages around them; the area is also suitable for walks

But it really depends on what you're interested in (rural life, mountains etc.).

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

What model and year is your BMW anyway? Just curious.

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

@eepje44, a BMW 1 of 2012

kent
Level Contributor
184 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

Gosh I travel there often with a friend we own land there. Our husbands are not interested in visiting there so we go by ourselves by car. Perfectly safe although we do get some strange looks two women by themselves in some of the transylvanian villages.

Perfectly safe.

Maramures
Level Contributor
605 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

Make sure your insurance covers Romania some don't because of the risks!!

Transylvania,Romania
Level Contributor
35 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

Dear friend,I drove for 6 months my ex-boss's car(X5) with Italian plates,I am driving an Austrian plate car for over 1 year,all over Transylvania.I had my car with Romanian plates being robbed 6 years ago by breaking one side window.Honestly,come relaxed,enjoy your trip,park your car by the hotels at night and you will have no problems.If you wish will love to write you some ideas about visiting Transylvania,a wonderful,unique spot of Europe.Good luck!

Constanta, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car

U have an 10000 euro car and u have this problem?u make me smile!

Reply to: Is it safe to travel Romania with our own car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted