We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety tips for women travelling alone

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
Safety tips for women travelling alone

I am travelling to Romania mid October for 2 weeks. I have booked my accommodation. I will be travelling by public transport but not at night time.

I am anxious about being ripped off by taxis (I am not going to Bucharest).

I am also a little concerned as some people have said there are lots of gangs in Romania and I would be at high risk from being mugged as a woman travelling alone.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows of any scams/anything I should look out for and if I should avoid taxis because of the risk of being scammed?

Many thanks

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
1. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

You won't get ripped off by taxis if you pay some attention to prices before getting in; avoid taking taxis from tourist places (airports, train stations, main squares, hotels) and do not use them for out of town routes. Ideally order them via generic apps (CleverTaxi or StarTaxi), taxi company apps or by phone instead of picking them up on the street. In several cities you can also use Uber.

Violent crime is lower in Romania than in Western Europe, consequently you have a lower chance to get mugged here.

Just take usual precautions:

- be careful if you go through deserted places (parks, back streets) at night;

- watch your luggage and pockets when using crowded public transport vehicles;

- don't accept to show your passport or wallet to anyone, under no matter what pretext;

- don't interact in any way with beggars;

- try not to get drunk;

Edited: 4:32 pm, September 27, 2017
2. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:11 pm, November 29, 2017
Maramures
Level Contributor
735 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

I don't remember seeing any gangs in Romania nothing like we have in the UK. It's really quite a safe place to travel. Public transport in most cities is adequate and while the trains are slow they are alright.

As for crime statistics, these are based on reported crime and in Romania are a joke even amongst the police

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
200 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

In my opinion Romania is one of the safer places to travel in the entire world.

I agree with alterme that you are probably safer anywhere in Romania than you are on the main street of tourist hotspots such as Paris, Rome, Barcelona or London.

There are no gangs in Romania period.

Now, as in every other country on Earth, there are a few outlaws and low-lives. I guess there is almost no place on Planet Earth where, as a woman traveling alone, you can say that no matter where you go at night, no matter how you act, no matter how you dress and no matter how you display your money you are 100% safe at all times. So with that in mind I think anywhere on Earth you should be careful about carrying large amounts of cash, or going into the "bad" part of town, letting other people see or hold your passport or dressing too provocatively if partying out alone.

Having said that, realistically the main worry is getting scammed by taxis or being pick-pocketed if carrying your purse or your wallet in an easily accessible place.

If you are in a city where Uber is available, that is by far the safest option. If a bus or a tram is an option, that is also a better option than a taxi. If you have to take a taxi, always ask him for an estimate beforehand. Most taxis in Romania charge between 2 and 3.5 lei per km. So if you know the approximate distance to your destination, it's easier to tell what a reasonable amount would be. Also try not to hand them large banknotes, there are instances where tourists gave them 100 lei, and then they gave change back to 50 and pretended like the tourist gave him a 50 lei banknote.

Walking alone at night is also safe, or at least safer than in most large cities worldwide, but I guess it would be useful to know what the "bad" part of each city is for this purpose.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

thank you very much, these are really helpful tips.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

thank you

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your response, it is very helpful.

Maramures
Level Contributor
735 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

If you read volkais reply you might think Romania is very safe and full of lovely people. This is the response you always get from Romanians on here. In fact much of it is but as I said before there are incidents of rape and physical assault which go unreported. Further in Bucharest and brasov I wouldn't venture out beyond the Main tourist areas alone.Just be sensible like anywhere else you would travel to.

9. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, September 29, 2017
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Safety tips for women travelling alone

I agree its safe or safer than most of western europe. My wife travelled with kids through there and ive done it alone. No probs. I would negotiate with taxi drivers but Part from that just go and enjoy. I seem to remember the trains were excellent old school antiques. Nice